Potentially ill rooster

Soupp

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2023
The rooster is on the younger side, probably less than a year old. We recently got him from a friend about a week ago and he was behaving fine until this morning. My mom found him with his tail drooping and sitting in one place for a prolonged period of time. She brought him into the house and gave him medicine and a towel/food/water. He remained on the towel for hours without moving but was drinking a lot and occasionally eating. He’s now currently in my room with food and water. Also, his poop smells more potent than usually. I’ll update the post with what he looks like in the morning.

Do you have another rooster, or were your chickens keeping him from food or water? What does his poop look like? Pictures of him and his poop might be helpful. I would offer him food and water often, perhaps give him some vitamins or Poultry NutriDrench for a day or so. Eggs, tuna can be given in small amounts for a boost.

Do you have another rooster, or were your chickens keeping him from food or water? What does his poop look like? Pictures of him and his poop might be helpful. I would offer him food and water often, perhaps give him some vitamins or Poultry NutriDrench for a day or so. Eggs, tuna can be given in small amounts for a boost.
Yes, we do have another rooster that’s bigger than him. This is what his poop looks like

Attachments

• 3AFDEB1A-B497-4184-94C5-BBDED9A37C0E.jpeg
    3AFDEB1A-B497-4184-94C5-BBDED9A37C0E.jpeg
    603.9 KB · Views: 6
  • B7388D46-0CB0-4F7A-B670-6FB040CE6151.jpeg
    B7388D46-0CB0-4F7A-B670-6FB040CE6151.jpeg
    676.8 KB · Views: 5
After getting him built back up, I would spend a lot of time with them once he is back. In my experience, it doesn’t work to add a new rooster from outside the flock. Either the older one will bully or beat up the new one, or vice versa. I aphave raised young cockerels in the existing flock where they have been accepted, but there is always a chance that eventually one will challenge the other. Always make sure this guy has his own food and water available that he can get to. Even the hens may keep him from food and water, so just watch.

He seemed to be doing better so we put him back out into the coop, but this is all he’s been doing now

Attachments

• CB4DAD9F-D122-429F-82E6-51DC4A83535B.jpeg
    CB4DAD9F-D122-429F-82E6-51DC4A83535B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
You could try treating him with Corid for 5 days in case of possible coccidiosis. Worming with Valbazen or SafeGuard might also be helpful. Can you place him inside a wire dog crate with his own food and water, but leave him where he can see the others? I would baby him for a few days giving him extra food and high protein goodies. He may be timid, but he also may be weak or sick.

Back
Top Bottom