potentially mareks disease???

cluck clucking

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2018
2 chickens have died in the past 2 weeks we while on vacation and another chicken is sick. she is having trouble walking and one side of her wing is laid down. not sure if she will make it through the night but we have one more chicken. Could this be mareks disease? We are told they have been vaccinated as chicks now they are about 6 months old. not sure what we should do now. the fourth and living chicken is also the only chicken that has laid eggs so far.

I would definitely get a necropsy by your state vet to test for Mareks if she dies. There could be another reason for the desths, but the symptoms sound like possible Mareks. I would look at the feed for mold, and for any possible poison in their environment. Did you have someone taking care of them while you were gone? Did they notice any symptoms?

I would make sure they are eating or drinking. If not offer water up to their beaks. Start some poultry vitamins if you can today. What do their droppings look like—any runny poops or blood? Are any standing hunched or puffed up and lethargic? Here is a link to find contact info to get a necropsy in your state:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

I would definitely get a necropsy by your state vet to test for Mareks if she dies. There could be another reason for the desths, but the symptoms sound like possible Mareks. I would look at the feed for mold, and for any possible poison in their environment. Did you have someone taking care of them while you were gone? Did they notice any symptoms?
I didn’t have a neighbor looking after them. The first time a chicken died they were watching them. Then 2 weeks later we left on a Thursday and when we can back on Tuesday one chicken had died and the other chicken had the droopy wing and is having trouble walking. I put both chickens in their own box in the house to sleep for the night

The neighbor said the chicken was fine at 9am this morning. We got here at 11ish (am) and nowthe chicken is notfine

I would make sure they are eating or drinking. If not offer water up to their beaks. Start some poultry vitamins if you can today. What do their droppings look like—any runny poops or blood? Are any standing hunched or puffed up and lethargic? Here is a link to find contact info to get a necropsy in your state:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Yes the current chicken is supper puffed up and lethargic. And having trouble walking. Or jumping.

What state are you in? Prices may vary in each state. Mareks is best diagnosed with a necropsy when feather shafts or tumor tissue are tested. If you call them, they might have some sort of grant to help you if you cannot afford one. In some cases, a home necropsy may be done, and you could take pictures of the organs, especially the liver and intestines. Small tumors may show up in pictures. You can post them here for any opinions. There can be so many things that might look like Mareks. Even coccidiosis can sometimes look like Mareks because of weakness and dehydration. Could they have run out of food or water while you were gone. Just exploring all possible causes.

Yes the current chicken is supper puffed up and lethargic. And having trouble walking. Or jumping.
Is there runny poops or blood? Then I would get some Corid liquid from your feed store, and mix 2 tsp (10 ml) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If using the powder use 1 1/2 tsp per gallon. Coccidiosis can cause extreme weakness and death. If using the Corid liquid, give 3 drops of the undilted tonight and twice a day to the really sick bird.

Back
Top Bottom