Potentially sick hen and wormer question.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GAChicken Chick, Dec 30, 2012.

1. GAChicken Chick

GAChicken Chick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Toccoa, GA
    Hello all I just joined from BYH and ChickenCrossing. I have a quick question about wazine wormer since the bottle is rather vague and I've never wormed my birds ever within the last 10 years (never had much of a problem with any diseases besides the occasional bout of lice). How long do you treat for? 1day? a week?

The potentially sick hen has been eating fine, acting spunky as ever, but she has gotten thin. Her keel and legs have lost their previous tone. She has hit her 1st molt and is having a bit of a hard time recovering from it. Luckily its been warm until last week. She dropped just about all her feathers at once and they are very slow in regrowing. I give her extra goodies and supplements to try to balance her out. But she is still getting thin. And the reason for the worming. She has had 2 bouts of bumblefoot before (both times cleared up with care and quarentine but no antibiotics). I found yet another scab, but no hole underneath. Looked like clean tissue. Any ideas? She ies one of my favorite girls (the hen in the avatar). And the only vet around is just a dog/cat vet and
    expensive. I do have access to penicillian now at work but I only want to use that as a last resort because I have never given injections to chicken or goat.

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Bumble foot can be closely related to roosting bar heights being to high. The bird, typically, jumps off a height to tall and shoves something in her foot, resulting in bumble foot.

3. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    There are other antibiotics available if you need them. They can be found at tractor supply. I use duramycin because it is water soluable. As long as the bird is drinking, you could use a water soluable antibiotic instead of one requiring an injection.

4. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wazine only treats one type of worm. Since your bird has NEVER been wormed before, you want to start with Wazine. However, if she has tapeworms or some worm other than roundworms, you will need to use another wormer. You can take a stool specimen to the vet and let them examine it for worms. That should be a MINOR expense and will quickly tell you if worms are your problem. The worm that Wazine treats is a Large, long worm. You won't be able to miss that worm if you examine a FRESH poop. It looks like a piece of spagetti...However, some of the other types of worms she could have you would not be able to see with a naked eye.

Wazine bottle directions are...

For best results, remove water in the evening (except during hot weather). Then, early the next morning, begin water medicated with Wazine-17. Provide medicated water only, distributed in waterers sufficient in number so that all birds or animals have access to water. The medicated water should be consumed in 1 day or less. Worming every 30 days is necessary to break the large roundworm life cycle.

The most important thing here is to REMOVE all water from the cage the night before. You want the hen to wake up THIRSTY and gobble up the medicine when you put it infront of her. LEAVE the medicated water in there for ONE day. Then re-worm 10 days later to kill any larve that have hatched since the first treatment.

Since you are treating only one bird you should be able to mix 1/4 OUNCE wazine with 1 QUART water. She won't drink it all, but she will drink the right amount for her. If you were treating 2 birds, you would use the same amount. However, if you were treating 10 birds, you would want to use 1 ounce of wazine to 1 GALLON of water. The ratio of meds to water remains the same. You need to make more if you have more birds, but the ratio of meds to water is constant.

RETREATMENT is crucial to break the worm cycle :)

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. GAChicken Chick

Dec 30, 2012
    Toccoa, GA
    Yes I knew how she got the bumblefoot originally, and that was removed. I work at Tractor Supply, so I know what we carry and I have some duramycine here but from what a breeder friend taught me all antibiotics don't work on everything, and that duramycine doesn't work on bumblefoot? I am treating the whole flock for worms, if one has it the rest may have them and now is good while I don't need eggs. I gave them the water yesterday afternoon and removed the regular water, they drank the wazine water as if nothing was changed! I still have Dakota separated so I can watch her poops. If the wazine doesn't work then I'll use some safeguard, i have the poultry conversion dosage for the goat safeguard.
    Thanks for the advice! I really hope this is just a molting complication since she started so late behind everyone else.

7. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Nothing really works on bumble foot except removing the source of the infection. Then, it will heal on its own. I did not realize from your first post that you were using the anitbiotic for the bumblefoot. So sorry that I misunderstood.

8. GAChicken Chick

Dec 30, 2012
    Toccoa, GA
    I wasn't using the antibiotic, I didn't have any at the time. I don't think that's whats troubling her now... But I haven't had much experience with diseases... [​IMG]

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You might find this useful:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source:http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/cam/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by