potruding cloaca with othor complications

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eriks_address, Nov 28, 2009.

1. eriks_address

eriks_address New Egg

Nov 28, 2009
    Hi,
    This is my 1st time posting so be patient w me please.
    Recently I noticed that my chicken had a prolapsed cloaca. She was begining to molt and a few days later just above her cloaca she was covered in maggots. Thanks to this forum I was able to clean her up and get rid of the maggots/infection. She has regained some of her energy but is still quarantined. I figured he prolapsed cloaca was due to an ingrown feather that caused an infection and allowed a fly to nest.
    The problem now is, that even though her infection is gone and her wound is healing up her cloaca is still protruding. Some days its worse than others, being large and bulbus while othor times seeming deflated.
    What really concerns me is that there is a hard round ball on the right had side of her cloaca (if your facing her but) the ball is about the size of a ping pong ball. To me this seems to be where a lot of her dis comfort is coming from and it almost seems like its clogging herr up or she is trying to pass it. It isnt in the middle of her cloaca but rather sticking off the side and visable only when her cloaca is kinda maxed out.
    Wh have her on the cheap over the counter antibiotics because she seemd to be weezing but that has gotten better.
    She has had some blood in her stool which at times is runny and or mucasy. It also like her cloaca is inflating and deflating w her breathing, is this normal? She seems almost out of the woods and I would hate to lose her after such progress.

What is your advice for this.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Erik

2. eriks_address

eriks_address New Egg

Nov 28, 2009
    PS
    my wife and I feel pretty confident that the round ball that we can feel isnt an egg. My wife thinks we should lance it but I wanted to get a popular opinion 1st
    Erik

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Hi and [​IMG]

I'm not sure about the round ball, though it does sound like it may be an abcess, hopefully someone who knows more will chime in soon. As far as the prolapse goes though, have you tried prep h on it to reduce the swelling so it will be more likely to stay where it belongs?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I would lance it... see if it's puss or egg. Either way, you'll have some cleaning and irrigation to do. Have lots of salt water handy with a baby nose syringe to clean it with.

Have you tried pushing her vent back in?

Hopefully you tried to do that right away after cleaning it.

Good luck.

5. eriks_address

eriks_address New Egg

Nov 28, 2009
    Thanks for the advice all. The good newse is that the cloaca seems to have retracted but now she doesnt have the energy to stand and is so darn skinny. We have been feeding her 3 times a day wit the baby feeding surenge full with yogart egg, ground calcium, and blue green algea. Often when I feed her the food just dumps back from her mouth when I pick her up. any advice on that???
    Erik

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by