Potting Shed to Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by niter, Aug 10, 2014.

1. niter

niter Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience with potting sheds? Are they as hot as a full out green house? Could the design translate to a chicken coop while being safe for chickens? My thoughts were that the windowed roof could be useful in winter for warming the coop but then also covered or tinted to prevent roasting during the summer.

http://www.shedsusa.com/products/specialty-sheds/potting-shed/

2. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    You don't have a location added, but unless you live somewhere really really cold, there's no need for heat in the winter. Chickens are very well insulated.

I think that thing will be an oven, and I think you're going to spend a lot of money trying to ventilate it. Still, it's tough to tell what your needs are without your location.

3. niter

niter Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Thank you, I suspected as much. I thought the extra light would be nice as well but it's not worth roasting the birds lol

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well....depends on the climate where you live, you could always put shade cloth over the window in the summer and it could be nice for light in winter.

But you would have to add some windows and/or more ventilation, roosts and nest boxes.

Looks to be about 8' x 8', could make a nice coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by