1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Potty trained chicken???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    How many of you have chickens that you can keep indoors with you, without worrying about poop?
    We're getting a new roo soon and the owner said he's house trained. I don't know how to train a chicken not to poo, isn't it something that just happens?
    And my dad says that he'll believe when he sees it.

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I think I read somewhere about house-training chickens, but it's like a "reward system" where essentially you take them to the can ... they poop ... then you reward them...........[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm with your dad. If he's trained, why does he not want him any more?

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Our house chicken, Frack, is potty trained. It's not something I did, it just seemed to happen. She does live with the flock in the coop overnight but scratches on the front door in the morning to come in. She will stay in for a while and then scratch or start "talking" to go out. She comes and goes as she pleases and lays her egg inside every day. There are times she will stay in for a couple of hours and just settle down on the carpet next to my desk. I'm not sure if she is the one trained or if she has trained me, but she rarely leaves anything on the floor, except maybe sometimes a feather!

We do have other chickens who have come in from time to time, but they aren't clean so don't stay long. The only one I trust is Frack.

[​IMG]

5. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    That's amazing! I wish mine were potty trained. And the owner just can't keep chickens, they said that the roo was illegal where they are.
    Ahhh what I would do to have my muttsie mutt potty trained! Is it to late to train? Next year in March they should be a year old.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

7. Fluffybirdie

Fluffybirdie New Egg

Dec 30, 2010
    http://alexthemanabouttown.blogspot.com/

There
    are ways to train them, there are also chicken diapers that you can buy. Some are lined with plastic, some use sandwich baggies, and they keep the poopies off the floor AND off the chicken!

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

http://www.chickendiapers.com/Catalog.html

^^^
    That's your answer. Training would be cool, but honestly, I know I don't have the time. There are BYCers that sell chicken diapers, that look alot like the ones on the site above (and might very well be cheaper). But, yes, as the above poster said, these are very easy to use. And they're quite fashionable.

9. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    We got a roo, and since we have neighbors we crated him at night in the garage so he would not wake them in the morning.
    I was not really planning on house training him when we started
    but soon enough I noticed his crate was clean all the time, and he would go outside, and poop right away, but was just not messing in his crate
    he was such a friendly sweet guy, that he ended up being in the house a lot, and would just seem to hold it till he went back outside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by