Potty trained goats? Ha!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickylou, Apr 21, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Sounds soooo silly, but could it be true? [​IMG]

My two Nigerian dwarf does have been living in our shed temporarily until we finish their new "apartment" under the house and deck. I just moved them over yesterday. Well, as the story goes, the temporary shelter had a 4x4 section with a simply stud box on the floor and I put all the straw and pine shavings in there. Every morning and evening, my daughter and I would go out to milk and we'd clean up all the nanny berries and kept the place really clean, but we realized over time that they stopped urinating all over, they started to go over to that 4x4 square with all the straw. Now, I'm not talking "nanny berries". Those little things just pour out of them whereever:p, but just the peeing part.

So yesterday I moved them and we built another box and there is a new goat bed which they can sleep on. I went out to clean and sure enough, they are using that little section. Am I crazy? Could it be that keeping their area free from straw except for one little section and keeping the rest cleaned up that eventually they are smart enough to designate a section as the "potty"? [​IMG]

Boy, I sure hope this keeps up! Anyone else have this kind of experience?

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    No your not crazy. I have a friend who sold some of her Pygmy kids to a lady who potty trained them to go pee on puppy pads in the house. I guess she doesn't care if they poop all over her house [​IMG]

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I wonder if they are peeing on the straw because the urine doesn't splash up on their legs while they are going?
    I potty trained a buckling that was inside of my house due to cold weather. It wasn't him I was trying to train. It was a litter of puppies I had. But he was put out with the pups each time and figured it out. He had the peeing outside down, but still dropped pellets inside once in a while.
    For whatever reason, it will make stall cleaning easier for you! Cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by