Potty trained

Stingray

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
Northern VA.
Well almost, when i first built the coop which is my first. I put this front porch on it with hardware cloth bottom and front the only problem it was to small. At dark they would fight over who got the window.
39804_dscf0244.jpg
So I decided to make it bigger it is now 44Lx25Dx18H It has plywood top and back plexa glass on the end. A poultry wire door that latchs down on the front I can raise up. The whole bottom slides out for easy cleaning.
39804_dscf0256.jpg
[https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/39804_dscf0258.jpg
39804_dscf0255.jpg
Please tell me if you think any thing is bad for the girls I can always make changes. I know i will have to do something for winter. Thanks everyone

Last edited:
That looks like a totally awesome set up! Anything that makes clean up easier the better! If it's working for you, Perfect! It's what some would call a modified version of a droppings board.

Thanks SC , I have another question do the chickens have to sit on a roost there is two in the coop but they never use them they seem to like sleeping in a ball on the wire. My thought is because there about 4 ft off the ground and it's kinda like a roost. But my concern is it bad for them.
Thanks Bubba

How wide are the roosts? Many chickens prefer, and is often best in cooler areas, to be able to cover their toes with their feathers when they sleep. A 2x4 with the big side up works well for standards and prevents frost bite. Unlike many other birds who hold onto a roost, when they relax, they rest on their keels. Try putting one on your hand and waiting till it relaxes and you can feel the feet lose their grip and their bodies slant.

Another thing that might be keeping them on the wire is that they could still be "babies" in their heads and haven't figured it out. Especially with my silkies, it takes them a few months to learn to use their roost that is just a foot from the ground. To teach them I have to set them on it every night and they still need reminders. I like them off the ground because they are not sleeping on their poo or getting pooed on by others.

Sitting on wires is not always the best for birds as it can potentially be bad for their feet, and if the wires are not in the coop area, which you don't have to worry about because it appears to be in the coop area, preds are known to pull legs out through the bottom of wire.

I have two one of the 2x4 are on edge the other is flat. I have tried setting them on it but they jump down & head for the window. Maybe when i close the window off for winter they will use them. Thanks for everyones input I need all i can get.
39804_dscf0260.jpg
39804_dscf0259.jpg
SC I will lay the other one flat . Oh! before the pine chips they were 16" off the floor.

Back
Top Bottom