potty training baby chicks: how to do it? and is it possible?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ich-knut, Aug 5, 2009.

1. ich-knut

ich-knut In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Has anyone tried to potty train their baby chicks? I like to give my baby chicks lots of freedom to roam but I don't want them to poop everywhere. They are bantams. [​IMG]

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I've never seen or heard of it done.

The general trend for house chickens is chicken diapers. If you use the search button and type in chicken diapers you should see how those work. Personally, I prefer keeping all the chicks and chickens in the great outdoors - self cleaning [​IMG]

3. agnes_day

agnes_day Songster

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    yeah..i put diapers on my little silkies and it was pretty disgusting, trying to clean them up. never again!!

4. mayapooh

mayapooh Songster

Sep 21, 2008
    Kern River Valley, CA
    This is slightly ot, but my Serama, which I keep in a cage in my living room, potty trained himself. LOL I used to find piles underneath his perch every morning, and gradually they got smaller and smaller, until one day nothing. I rarely have to clean the cage anymore, but unless I rush him outside when I let him out in the morning, he'll let go a giant poo on the carpet. *sigh*

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  5. SheeReno

SheeReno Songster

Jul 31, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I actually want to say that there is a thread floating around here on this very subject. It was a few pages long and I didn't go through the end to see if there was some sort of HHAHAHAHA GOTCHA moment, but what I read about seemed like making up some sort of simple simple call that you do when the chicks poo.

You anticipate when they will go and you plcae them on the towel or whatnot and make the call. I guess they eventually get it. If it all ended up being a joke, I'll end up feeling like a massive fool. But if not, hell I say give it a go!

6. ich-knut

ich-knut In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
  7. Chris623

Chris623 Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    Central Oklahoma woods
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

"Potty training" a chicken is probably a lot like potty training a cow![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] ....................a total waste of time.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: