Poulin Grain Egg Production Plus

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by crazyhatlady, Feb 20, 2017.

1. crazyhatlady

crazyhatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2013
    NYS
    Does anyone else feed this to their flock?

If so can you tell me how you like it?

I've been feeding it for a month now to my flock. They love it and my yolks are very orange which I like. But I've noticed an off smell in the eggs. Kind of fishy but not over powering and only when cooking.
    There is flaxseed in it but at what quantity I'm not sure. And they get some free ranging when the hawk stays away. So not sure if its something their finding in the yard when the snow melts or if its the feed. They eggs don't taste bad. But I do have a really sensitive nose lately.

Thank you.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I"ve used poulin product, not sure if it's the same formulation. Liked it just fine. I ferment all of my feed. I buy what ever product I have a discount coupon for from either Blue Seal or TSC (Poulin is not local to me) and notice that it smells different in the ferment bucket (TSC has a much stronger odor) but the birds scoff down what ever I feed them. The big criteria for me is this: "What is the mill date?" If it's more than 2 or 3 weeks past mill date, I'll walk out of the store before buying it.

1 person likes this.
  3. crazyhatlady

Feb 27, 2013
    NYS
    Ty

4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I suspect the flaxseed. Nutrena Naturewise hearty hen has added flax 3/4 of 1%. Purina Omega 3 is 1% added flax. Supposedly to increase Omega 3 in the yolk. Too much can affect the taste, from what I've read.
    I have not fed either one. So I don't know from experience. GC

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  5. crazyhatlady

Feb 27, 2013
    NYS
    Just called Poulin and was told it was 5%. So I'm thinking it's the feed. When I'm done using these bags up I'm going back to their layer which doesn't have flaxseed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by