Poult not acting right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pharmchickrnmom, Jul 5, 2010.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    It has been really hot here and tonight I discovered that one of my 12 week old poults is not quite right. She stands still or lays down and she keeps her right eye shut. She was fine earlier in the day. Could it be the heat? My other 7 seem fine. She did come over for goodies but not in her usual enthusiastic way. I wet down their run and under their tractor several times today as well as replenished their waterers to keep it fresh. Anyone have any ideas? I am new to chickens and my girls have been so healthy! I dont want to lose her. Should I bring her inside tomorrow? I see no discharge from her eye, no injuryies, no other discharges. Her poo tonight was runny and brown but nothing unusual. Should I give the girls gatorade in their water? It is supposed to be record breaking heat here this week. Please help!!!

2. Miss Sebright

Miss Sebright Little Hen.....Big Attitude!

Apr 3, 2009
    In a nutshell
    Sorry, I don't have much to say in way of advice. Seperate her, make sure she has plenty of food and water. Keep an eye on her, and watch the others for symtoms. Good Luck!

3. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Anyone with advice for this heat? I checked the girls out this morning as I was feeding them breakfast and the one who wasnt acting right seems better this morning. Her eye is open and she gobbled down a healthy portion of eggs and yogurt. I placed several plastic containers in their run and filled them with water so they have many places to cool off. I will be checking them every hour cause its supposed to be 101 today. Fans are not an option but they have shade under their tractor as well as a sunscreen cover on top of the run. Should I give them some sports drink in their water for the electrolytes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by