Poultry and Dogs - Who Has Happy Pictures and Stories?

I have 2 silkie x, bantams, and they just run around the backyard, my maltese/shitzu is in love with the chickens, and vice versa, i once walked out to my kitchen and here is my dog cuddled up with a chicken and they are both sleeping soundly, it was the cutest thing i have ever seen, but as soon as i went to take a photo, the chicken got up and walked away...

Daisy is a terrier mix, she was a "dumped" dog in our neighborhood, let out of a car (at least she wasn't thrown). After a week or two of "assuming she was lost accidently" and looking for her home, I got her. She was 8 months old (she's about 2 years now), completely housebroken, never, never pottied in the house; she could sit, sit-up, lay down, beg, shake hands and "gimme five", she kinda mixes lay down with roll over. And, she's a great "French kisser" (too much so, but, if that's her only fault, it's fine)... She's a love; and she plays with and watches the chickens, now if I just knew how to teach her to herd them. She also takes their bread treats, and competes for anything like french fries. She knows when I bring in a new chicken and it's not one of her flock, but she gets used to them quickly. She never chases, growls, snaps, bites or hurts them at all. She does eat chicken poop
sickbyc.gif
, but less and less as she gets older.

Keep it up, I love reading the stories of dogs that fit in with the chickens. Especially rescue(or dumped) dogs that fit in so well with their new homes.

@ aoxa

I absolutely love the third picture....that is great they get along naturally. Our foster Shepherd did, but our perm. GSD does not tolerate them free ranging. He herds them right back in the run every time I try to let them out together. Most would like that....but its a pain because I would like everyone to be out with me at the same time on nice days when working in the yard.

These pics and stories are sooo encouraging! I have a 10mo black lab that is finally starting to calm down some and listen better and better everyday. Lately it's been very cold out and so we haven't had much desire to go out and play with him, but now that spring is comming I know he'll be better. I very much want to be able to let my chickens out during the day in the spring and summer to do some free ranging, and this gives me hope that Bear will be able to be trained enough to at least leave them alone. I know he gets a little lonely at times being outside (my son has allergies so he can't be inside, ever), so maybe having the chickens in the yard with him will be a good thing.
love.gif
Give him some companionship and something to do while we're not with him.

i dont have any pictures but im hoping to take some but not of my dog and my chickens my dog dont do much with my chickens she is old and dont mess with them much. my chickens dont like my barn cats i have and so my chickens chase my barn cats around the farm yard.
smile.png

I have a dog that could be your black dogs twin

The day I made Christmas cookies it was 65* outside. I was stuck over the oven all day while the animal clan hung out in their favorite dirt spot. Dezy, the tan dog, was giving the "ya wanna knock that off" look to the group for throwing dirt in her face while dust bathing.

I have a very nice pic of my dominique pretending to be a dog, but I have to find it.

I have a Border Collie/ Australian Cattle Dog cross that is the best dog ever. She helps my daughtger catch chickens and can even herd chickens on the command 'Freckles Get the Chickens'. In fact even if the dog is not there just saying 'Freckles Get the Chickens' and all the chickens immeadiatly head back to the coop. If two roosters fight she will jump in and break them up, she stands between them until they both turn and walk away. I can't say she likes chickens I suspect she looks down on them but she seems to understand that they are important to us therefore it is her job to protect them. She only chases chickens when told to otherwise she ignores them. She doesn't eat chicken poop but she occasionaly will eat the lay crumbles. However she is a stone cold rodent killer and has been known to jump on hay bales to catch rats in the rafters. She has also taken on a raccoon that came to feed on the cat food, she fought it and eventually treed the sucker. She cornered an opossum but waited until I said 'Get 'em' to go after it and let it go when I told her to. I have never had a dog that I could tell to 'Get 'em' and they WOULD get it!

She loves my son, considers him 'her boy', she does obdience, agility and showmanship with him since he was 5 yrs old.

Back
Top Bottom