1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poultry Auction

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Katy, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just got home from taking some of my extra roos to the auction. Saw Tazcat70 (Tonya) and Dragracer (Nicole) there. We decided we were having our own little Kansas people convention!! I had met Tonya before, but hadn't ever met Nicole before. It's always nice to see some fellow chicken lovers!!

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    How did you do with the roosters?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Not very good, but that's the way it is around here. A chicken is pretty much just a chicken and they really don't care if they're a purebred Marans or a pretty "designer" chicken. Now pullets usually get a better price. I at least don't have to feed them anymore!! Wish I could afford to keep them all, but I can't. That's the only thing I hate about hatching my own vs buying pullets.....what to do with all the roos I seem to hatch!

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    All the extra roos are called fried chicken, roast chicken, chicken soup or bar-b-que chicken.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Not here....I once swore I'd never pluck another chicken as long as I live and in the 40+ years since I said that I haven't!!

I'm realistic tho and I know probably most of the roos I take to the auction end up in somebody's frying pan or stewpot. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    It's the same way here. I was talking to someone in chat that said bantam cochin roos sell for $15-$25 and pairs sell for a good price too. I bought an amazing bantam coching pair at my auction for $10, and was absolutely amazed that I sold a bantam hen for $8. I just figure it's a sure fire way to get them outta my coop.
    Oh and how fun to meet fellow BYCers!

7. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Yes we had a good time.

I took some bantams..a roo and a couple of roo babies (about 8 weeks) and for my rooster I got a whopping .75 and for the 2 babies $1.00. I am not sure I will go that route again after seeing how the woman pulled the roo out of the box. Almost better for me to make him into soup, that way I know he would have humane treatment until the end.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I know what you mean....I try not to think about it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by