Poultry auctions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by L&Schickens, Jul 20, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I live near (Well, 30 minutes away) from a place that has a poultry sale and auction ever other saturday. I have gone twice now and did not come home with anything because a lot of the birds there were beat up badly and or sick. Is this common?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Vey common. Unfortunately in our area, auctions are used to get rid of the animals that are neglected or no longer wanted.

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I go to auctions all the time. I have noticed that alot of the animals are in very bad shape. My birds always sell higher because they look better. I like to buy the bad looking birds and keep them until they re-feather. I love the transformation they go thru. A lot of the other sellers just don't care about their animals and just want a buck. Thats what I have found out.

4. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    Auctions may have their benefits but I had a terrible first experience with purchasing chickens through one. I paid $44 for 4 hens that all turned out to be roosters. Also, they were sick with several diseases when I got them (unknowing of their illness at time of purchase). It cost me even more money to medicate them and pay a vet fee. In the long run, I would have been better off buying from a reputable hatchery and paying the extra cost in shipping charges. Then I know what I'm getting and that they are usually healthy since they pre-treat them for diseases. (some hatcherys do anyway)

On top of all that... I got 6 baby chicks (6-8 weeks) and they told me they didn't know if they were males or females... well, I think I may have one hen out of all that. Boy was that an expensive lesson.

In addition, my vet told me that the roosters had cecal worms and now I have them in my ground and will have to treat every bird that is introduced into my yard. [​IMG]

Please consider this before purchasing through auctions.

5. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    We have an auction too like that. I was glad last week to see the SPCA and the Provincial Inspectors there to inspect. They also made sure that people were transporting their animals correctly.

6. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Some birds looked good, but most did not. A lot of the roosters there were beat up so badly thye looked near death. There was a small flock of true RIR hens (The really dark colored ones I have only ever seen at shows) and a matching rooster that I might have considered buying, but I was afraid of taking home a disease to my existing flock. The RIR birds were owned by the same man who owned several other very sick and beat up birds. The RIR rooster was big and beautiful, but had signs of fighting on him with lost feathers and a bloody comb. It was a shame too. I have ALWAY wanted the really dark RIR chickens. I think they are beautiful.
    I would never take a sick bird to an auction. If I did not want to treat it or keep it, I would just do it in at home. Why try and sell a sick bird?

7. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    We go to the auction every month. Here in Florida the agriculture inspector is there to examine the animals. Like the auctioneer says if you bring a two dollar chicken you cant expect to get ten. We only purchased day old chicks so far but the birds there look very well taken care of. We did purchase pigs and rabbits without any problems. And the auctioneer tells you if they are pullets or roosters.

8. chickenaddiction2008

chickenaddiction2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    I've seen the same thing at swap meets. People's chickens are either in really great shape or really beat up. There are always tons of roosters also. I have not been to an auction yet as I don't know of any around here. I used to go buy horse stuff at auctions but it was so sad looking at all the skinny horses.

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I have seen some bad ones who could care less how they care or tansport them.And the ones that come in so crammed they cant even move.
    Then agian have seen some come in with water dishes and straw or shavings for bedding.Thats how my speckled sussex where caged,someone realy cared for them,they are so far they best chickens i have ever owned.
    Glad i got them and not some of those other people.
    I would say for the most part so far most have nice animals and alot cage em well.

Its funny because some that cram there cages full or have bad sick looking animals look like thier animals.

I like watching what comes in and getting the cage number.So i see alot of owners.

10. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Alot of times the condition of the cages will tell you the type of person who is selling them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by