Poultry Breeding Poll

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX, Jun 20, 2011.

1. XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX

XxKiki_Bantam_BreederxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Michigan
    I am doing a lot of independent research on breeding chickens.
    I made this poll to find out on average how much money on average small time breeders make a year.

http://www.learnmyself.com/personality.asp?p=take-poll&qp=63833x9dF745B9

If you can post any information that could be helpful here, that would also be great! [​IMG]

i.e. how many birds you breed, how much space it takes, feed cost, etc.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

After expenses the total would be in the negative. I'd be happy just breaking even.

3. Black Cochin Bantams

Black Cochin Bantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Iowa
    I definitely do not make money because of some decisions I have made. I raise birds of little value for eating and are only so so layers. My birds are exhibition type for show and hobby use. I will not sell chicks or hatching eggs choosing instead to eat , or hatch mine. I feel that I am diluting the market if I sell chicks or eggs for hatching. I do not want anyone selling birds that I would have culled and saying they came from me. My name and reputation are worth more to me than the few dollars I might have made. We all have to cull to keep our quality up and in this way I insure that if you want some of my line of birds you have to deal with me directly and pay the breeder for all his work. I might be able to make money but to do that would probably require me to breed more and cull less. Generally a bad idea.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Every once in awhile I do break even-it feels good!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Every once in awhile I do break even-it feels good!

I've gotten close a couple of times, but I guess it's a good thing that I don't have my birds to make money but because I enjoy them!

6. FarmerJohn3285

FarmerJohn3285 County Line Farms

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    A while back i found a "chicken tracker" on BYC. Its a record/booking Excel workbook that keeps track of expenses (food, meds, supplies) & income (selling eggs, chicks, birds). It also gives a monthly break down of all the above.

It also keeps track of flock productivity and the cost per egg using feed cost and pounds bought. Mine is currently @ about 8-10 cents per egg. According to this system I've made ~$500 for the year before expenses.

7. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    we are still digging our way out

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It's an expensive hobby.

Worthwhile because it is the way to get top quality eggs and fried chicken for your family. Much better food than you can buy in the market, but certainly not cheap and getting more expensive as feed and wire go up, up, up in cost.

9. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    We like it because it is a hobby the entire family can enjoy. The kids love going with dad to the chicken show and the kids feed and water their own birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by