Poultry Breeds of Spanish Ancestry

Lacy Blues

Crowing
7 Years
This will be for all owners, breeders and prospective owners/breeders of poultry of Spanish ancestry. We will be sharing information in all matters of keeping these birds; be it feeding, housing or breeding. Any matter that is of importance in keeping of these magnificent fowl is fair game.

This will be a network of sources for these birds as we need to find those who are interested and/or actively breeding to bring them all together into one group. It doesn't matter where in the world you live, we would love to have your participation.

All breeds are accepted, whether or not they are accepted by the APA/ABA. Large fowl and bantam. So join up and share pictures of your birds and set ups. Lets help each other out with information and inspiration.

Right now we have a list started of the Spanish fowl. Of the following, the ones in bold type are those which are accepted by the APA.

Andalusian,

Catalana or Catalana Del Prat/ Prat Leonada

Cara Blanca Castilian

Empordanesa

Euskal oiloa

Minorca

Penedesenca

Spanish game

White-Faced Black Spanish

Asturian Painted Hen

Castellana Negra

Extremaduran

Indio de León

Gallina Mallorquina

Gallina Menorquina

Murciana

Galiña de Mos

Pardo de León

Pitiüsa

Combatiente español

Utrerana

Valenciana de Chulilla

Last edited:
I will start out by saying thank you for opening this thread.
My name is Jason and I breed the following

My main focus are
White Empordanesa
Crele Penedesenca
I also am starting to work with Black Penedesenca

I maintain a facebook page
Penedesenca Breeders and Fan Club Page
and helped to make the
penedesencausa.com website

Thank you for starting this thread.
My name is Angela and I have ordered a few white faced black Spanish chicks from Urch this spring.
I hope that you like them. I do not have any experience with them, but they are an uniquely attractive breed. A well bred flock out on grass is impressive. Not many breeds have the style that these birds do.

I hope that you post pictures.

I need to get a updated picture of the first guy as well. he looks a lot different now.
I would like to see a picture of him.

I will have to look and get familiar with their standard.

That last male is attractive to me. He has a nicely arched neck balanced with a nicely curved front. His tail is not balanced with the rest of him, and if it was just a bit less upright with more flow, that bird would be pretty sharp. He is nice looking already.

I like how the white earlobes stand out on all of these breeds, where the red earlobes blend in.

For any of these breeds, people need to see how attractive they can be. With our rare examples, we are working with what we have, but we need to work hard.

We know what they could be/should be, but the general public does not.

Back
Top Bottom