Poultry Couture's flock- Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries And Cures~

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Poultry Couture, Dec 26, 2012.

1. My flock's birds who are sick:

" Cluck Norris " the Black Rosecomb Bantam Rooster- Male-
    ~~~~~
    I though he had frostbite as it was cold outside and he wouldn't move and would stumble over. I slowly moved him towards the heatlamp to help his body temperature, but he keeps stumbling around!

Symptoms:
    - Will not eat
    - Will not drink
    - Stands up asleep
    - keeps left eye closed
    - Falls over and Stumbles around

Cure:
    I believe he's just acclimating to his new environment. We got him about a month and a half ago and this is our first freeze. He had an eye infection, but i dont think its gone all the way, also. I have him inside in a pen with a heat lamp, food and water. I mix apple cider vinegar, water, " Vitamin Drench ", and electrolytes together and force feed him it. Today he got his first interest in food and has eaten some wet kitten food and chick starter. I will force feed him in about 30 minutes. He's walks around and is clucking a little! So glad to see him get better! He has pooped out a " Tar " looking wet poop twice today. He pecked it earlier and I had to clean him up, but other than that he's improving!
    ~~~~~

" Mimosa " the Plymouth Barred Rock hen- female

About a week ago Mimosa got attacked by a weasel. She lost about 300 feathers and I found her sitting down by the coop.

Symptoms:
    - Will not eat
    - Will not drink
    - Doesn't poop a lot due to not eating
    - keeps both eyes shut
    - Stands up asleep

Cure:
    She's currently in my room bunking with " Cluck Norris ." Today she showed her first interest in food after a whole week. She took a tiny lick of wet kitten food and took a bite of chick starter today. I will also force feed her in about 30 minutes. I feed her the same mix as " Cluck ." She's been clucking and lightly grouching today, but I'm happy to see her talk a little! She's been up as walking around some and not leaning over asleep. Her left eye was about the size of half a golf ball the day before yesterday, but after treatment it's gone down a lot. I would open her eye up twice a day and flush out and would pick out any loose scar tissue. Her blinking muscle is swollen and I believe someone told me its called prolapse. I cut all the feathers away around her vent due to her solid poop sticking to it. Then I saw blood and freaked out. I inspected her skin... Not one cut, scrap or even drop of blood on her! Then I inspected her shavings I cut off. There's was a " Pod " or " Egg " looking thing in it that I had cut in half. I though maybe she laid a soft-shell due to stress, but they wouldn't have blood in it till later stages in the incubation period.
    ~~~~~

" No name yet "- Mallard Duckling- Unknown gender
    He / She has A leg deformity, but it has never been a problem. He/She flips over sometimes, but gets up. Today I opened the brooder and He/She was leaned up " Lounging " on He/She's sibling. I picks He/She up and it just seemed " Lifeless !" I got out my Stethescope and checked the normal siblings heart rate and breathing then compared it to the sick one. No difference at all!

Symptoms:
    - Lies down a lot
    - keeps eyes shut
    - Wont eat or drink own it's own
    - will sometimes crawl around

Cure:
    He's staying in our brooder with a Small computer fan to keep the air blowing a little. He's still lying there doing nothing. I've been force-Feeding him every now and then, but don't know what else to do.
    ~~~~~

If anyone has any help with these birds please let me know! Just post it here! Thanks so much!

Sincerely,
    Poultry Couture Farms

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. Sad to say little " No Name" the mallard just passed away. :/

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I'm very sorry :(

4. Thank you :)

His poor little sibling is so lonely now!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you know how to tube feed?

6. No, but I have a syringe. I wrap her up fairly tight in a towel then get a syringe, pull her waddles and she opens up. It's pretty easy :)

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FWIW, I have a sick rooster right now that I'm tube feeding and he gets at least 200cc's of baby bird food that I mix with Pedialyte. It take me about five minutes twice a day to to do this, which is much easier on them that force feeding, IMHO.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The hen probably needs at least 50cc's of something with lots of liquid in it at least twice a day. I just don't think that it can be done safely with just a syringe.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    There is a site someplace, written by vets, that says how much fluid a bird should get based on weight. I'll try to find it for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by