Poultry dust vs. Ivermectin 'pour on' for mites/lice?

gabby3535

Songster
11 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Hardwick, NW New Jersey
Okay, I have done an initial worming of my little flock, with the Piperazine........and am due
to do Ivermectin 'pour-on' drops, on the back of their necks/shoulder area, in a few days, to
complete the entire worming sequence.
I know the Ivermectin will take care of both internal parasites 'and' external mites and lice......
but I am wondering if this is a one-time "kill", (of the mites/lice), or if there is any residual effect.......
like when you put Frontline on your dogs?
I have not found any mites or lice on anyone here, but if I 'should' in the future........do I repeat the
Ivermectin drop-on........or use poultry dust?
Are there any benefits/draw-backs to one or the other?
Thanks

Last edited:
I do both. With Ivermectin, however, you can not eat the eggs for about 10 to 14 days after administering.
If you find just lice or mites on the birds, use the poultry dust. I'd use the Ivermectin if you suspect an internal parasite. If you want a more natural approach, you can use FOOD GRADE (not pool grade) DE. The chickens will dust bathe in it. You can also put a little in their food to keep worms down. I've heard that fly larvae can not live in the poop of animals who are fed food grade DE.

Back
Top Bottom