Poultry Dust?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick1043, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I found out my chickens had lice and got some poultry dust. The only problem is I don't know how to use it. I read the whole thing and it doesn't have any directions! Funny I know...So how exactly do I use this stuff?? Its says I can't get any on my clothing or skin..Well on me at all....

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Does the label say it can be used directly on the chickens? If it can, I would apply it like Sevin Dust. Put the chicken in a bag but leave the head out of the bag (do not ever put the chicken's head in the bag). Add the dust to the bag and hold closed at the chicken's neck. Gently shake to coat the chicken.

3. danfan

danfan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    I put the powder in a stocking and tie off the end. then someone holds the chicken while I dab all over, under wings, around the butt etc.
    Most is nasty if it gets on your skin or you breathe it in, so watch for the wind blowing it on you and cover your skin.

4. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I can't find anything with chickens! Its called Permethrin Prozap Garden & Poultry Dust.

5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Oh! okay! So do I need to put the powder anywhere in the coop?

6. danfan

danfan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    I sprinkle DE in the fresh sawdust when we do a clean up. It needs to be the food grade DE (Diatomaceous Earth)

7. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    You need to dust everywhere, including nest boxes and roosts.

8. gs3

gs3 New Egg

May 14, 2011
    I am new to this and have not even introduced myself yet ( don't know how - not very experienced on the internet either ). City girl is trying to raise 49 jumbo rocks for freezer and easter egg chicks for layers. I have lice in the chicken coop and on the 5 week old chicks. Called the farm supply and they recommended - CareFree Enzymes Poultry Protector - since I will be butchering my jumbo rocks in 3 weeks I wanted something all natural. Did I get the right product and has anyone had success with this? Also, I need help knowing information about the best way to freeze my chickens. I thought to save time and work I would just skin them, cut them in half, ( my husband is terminally ill so I just will be needing smaller packages for one person after about 6 mos. he wanted me to fill the freezer with fresh home grown vegies. and chickens to last me the first year - he thinks he has this all planned. )and then will put the chicken in freezer bags or will it freezer burn befor I use them up?
    Thanks, gs3

9. DelcoChix

DelcoChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Welcome to BYC, and so sorry to hear of your husbands prognosis....he sounds like a really thoughtful, caring kind of guy.
    I won't pretend to be any sort of expert but when we butchered (well...we sort of 'observed' while a friend did the deed) our first batch of Cornish X meaties after the fair last fall I took the time to clean them up after, cutting some up into pieces (leg/thigh, breast,etc.), keeping some whole for roasting, and de-boning some...took me way too long, at least a couple of hours after they were first butchered and plucked, and this was for only nine birds. I don't regret it now as it's really nice to pick out what I need and not have to do much work, but I was regretting it then. Once I was done I wrapped the pieces, or whole birds, tightly in freezer paper/wrap and then a friend told me about these huge Ziploc bags one grocery store carried (2 gallon?)..a whole bird fit in one bag, and they were 8-9 lbs prior to butchering. No sign of freezer burn and I still have some chicken in the freezer (try to space it out). Just be sure to wrap the meat well--little to no air will prevent freezer burn.
    As far as the lice issue--I'm no help there, but will be curious to hear what others say regarding using any sort of external dust a month prior to butchering--I'd think it wouldn't matter as it shouldn't affect the meat since it's all external, but will be good to hear others advice and experiences.
    I would suggest you post your own query in the meatbird category, both for the lice question and the freezing recommendations--it's kind of buried in the OP's post--I think you will get a lot of help.
    Again, welcome and best of luck in your future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by