Poultry dying in 100-plus weather

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hooligan, Aug 3, 2008.

1. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    This is from an Arkansas news source, and why we are leaving Bridgette in the house for the entire summer (most likely).

http://www.fox16.com/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=c6470fb0-eb8d-42a3-8059-a16d8ed0e3a9&rss=316

STAR CITY, Ark. (AP) - The intense heat in Arkansas is taking its toll on the flocks of poultry farmers, costing them hundreds of birds a day.

Eddie Beard of Lincoln County says he lost 100 chickens alone from one chicken house, and 350 to 400 birds altogether from eight houses. Beard is running fans from morning til night in the houses, using twice as much electricity as he normally does.

Losing chickens to heat is not new, but agriculture expert Stephen Stone of the county extension service says a recent practice of growing larger birds has compounded the problem. The bigger the chicken, the harder it is for the animal to tolerate the heat.

The heat also is making it hard for the chickens to put on the additional weight that the poultry companies want. The birds lose their appetite in the hot weather.​

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    yes, my chicks basically quit growing three weeks ago. But they still eat well. I can't wait for a little cooler weather.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    thats sad for the chickens and the farmers

4. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I wish I could take some in but I am not finding any alive on the roads now...

5. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    It's been over 100 for the past few weeks here. We just hit a record of 105 a few days ago.

I'm thankful my small coop is pretty much in the shade, as is the fenced area they run around in, but it's still sooooo hot. One good thing is that both ends of the coop are open (enclosed with wire fencing) and the chickens get a breeze right through the middle. There's also a dirt floor, so I wet it down at one end and they take much pleasure in dust bathing in the moist dirt during the hottest part of the day. So far, so good, but I still worry.

Now the garden is another matter.......it's literally crunchy!!!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  6. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I have lost five in the last few days. I am near Oklahoma City and it has been 105 to 107 for the last five days. It was only 93 today so I was kinda chilled when i was out earlier.
    I hope this is the last triple digit heat.

7. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I've lost 2 buff orps to the heat. It's suppose to be 93 tomorrow and rain. I hope they are right.

We still have the rest of Aug to go. It normally gets really hot when school starts so the kids can't go outside during recess.

I'm hoping me ordering my cornish x to be delivered Sept 15 and the other half Sept 22 will give time to cool off.

jackie

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My chicks continue to tolerate it. It was 104 today with humidity at 40% and that's high for us.

they made it through two weeks of 110+ temps as well.

Sorry for your losses... I'm praying for cooler weather.

9. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Jackie, you must be close to me. It's supposed to be a little cooler and rain tomorrow here too, but every time they say that lately, it misses us. We've only gotten one surprize shower in weeks, probably at least a month or more.

I'm really sorry for all the losses. I know the kids and I would just be heart broken if anything happened to ours, so my heart goes out to you. Prayer is a good idea.

We didn't have a/c for a couple of days, and I had to get a used unit installed, but we were lucky and could leave the house when it got bad. The poor chickens can't do a thing about it.

10. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    Mahonri, I'm glad you haven't lost any chickens. Our humidity here is really bad. Yes us redhead wives are patient!!

Verycherry, I'm about 10 minutes south of Little Rock. We have also lost 3 rabbits to the heat. My daughter had found containers and had them all in her bedroom!!! We had an appraiser to apraise our house so it probably didn't go well.
    She was heartbroken over the loss of her rabbits.

I hate to lose all the rabbits because the chickens scratch in their poop and find worms. But they do that with the horse poop now we have the horse so maybe that will be enough to help them find worms and bugs.

jackie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by