1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poultry Health Handbook Online

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by casportpony, Mar 4, 2013.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I've been busy, lol. Next step is to learn how to do fecal smears and floats!

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

:th

Girl, you are BUSY !!!!!!!

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    We're also going to learn how to do our own cultures and sensitivities, should be fun!

6. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    I'm a microbiologist...you're speaking my language!:) are you going to do stool cultures? If so tell me what you're going to use and culture for...I'm newer to peafowl but if my lovelies ever get sick I'd love to know more what to go for them....and I can do cultures. Our vets out here are old school cow Drs. When people's rabbits or chickens got sick, the vet would give them our number! So I'm kinda on my own...thank goodness for Internet! I'm going to have to get the books you have....thanks casportpony:)

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

We're going to do it all, lol, or at least try. I'll get you a list of the stuff we have ordered and the books that we have. Maybe you can give us some advice?

8. 3BirdGirlz

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    Sure will! I only do people cultures, so animal cultures will be new, but it's all similar. You're very ambitious...,but sounds interesting and fun! Let me know when or what you need advice on. Looking forward to your set up.

9. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Okay...this is what I'm talking about Casportpony. Hmmmm? Lol, I'll let you off the hook here but please do tell! I would so like to be able to do my own testing. It would save so much time to be able to find out 'immediately' what is going on. Now if I can, I would like to raise a question here. How would one go about separating blood? As in white from red? Centrifuge, correct? Could it be done at home? Is it feasible? There's a method to my madness, trust me.

10. 3BirdGirlz

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    You can get small centrifuges for home. If you want to separate serum from cells a centrifuge will work. But if you're looking at white blood cells you need a microscope. But im guessing youre talking about serum?...what testing will you do on blood for peas? I'm truly curious :) and I would like to know as well so I can do it if necessary. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by