Poultry ID number?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by marvun22, Aug 21, 2014.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I got forwarded this question (since I'm the poultry expert in my community). I have someone showing a Black Australorp, and one blank that needs to be filled in is this: Animal Identification Number. I believe the person's chicken is just a feed store Black Australorp. Would there be a special ID number?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What type of show is the person entering? At least with my state's county fairs, the "animal id #" is a leg band attached to the bird. Chickens aren't registered like other types of animals, so they don't have paperwork, tattoos, etc. For means of identification, some shows just require that there be a leg band on the bird's leg, with an identification number on it. The identification # is recorded by the show secretary so that if the bird were to be stolen or something, there would be some way of recognizing it.

Most poultry shows that I've been to require no identification at all; I think it is mainly a county/local fair thing.

3. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Well it is just a county fair. And generally there are only about 3-5 chickens ever there at one show.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I believe that the Animal ID refers to its legband number. Many birds (at least at county fairs, it seems) are required to have some form of identification. Your friend should record the legband number if his/her bird has one. If the bird doesn't have a legband, she/he should get some, or you can use a zip tie (make it loose, and remove it after the fair).

5. tridentk9

tridentk9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by