Poultry keeping in the UK

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by maxsgoldens, Jan 31, 2015.

1. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    Hi. Hopefully this will be an interesting thread for all you Americans and poultry keepers in general.

I'm Max and I'm from the UK. I got my first 5 hens 4 years ago at Christmas. Two Rhode islands, 2 buff Sussex and a light sussex. To this day I only have the light Sussex left. Over the 4years of keeping birds I have grown my flock and kept chickens, ducks, pheasants, partridge, quail, guinea fowl and turkeys.
    These are hopefully the first of many pictures I will upload. These were taken today.

[​IMG]
    This is big bird my male jersey buff. He's only 6month old.

[​IMG]
    One of the cherry valley ducks on the new pond( excuse the mess, its not finished yet).

[​IMG]
    Brian, the dominant rooster. If you can guess what 3 breeds he's made off I will be very impressed.

[​IMG]
    Mr and Mrs pheasant(golden pheasants) in their aviary.

[​IMG]
    3 year old female yellow golden pheasant. Needs a name. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]
    And this is a 1 year old male who also needs a name.

[​IMG]
    Some of the flock at dinner. They are only confined in the run when I'm worming them and when I'm locking them up.

[​IMG]
    Finally the last photo today I'd Betty the pit bull cross who seems to think she owns the chickens. Won't let any predators near them.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That's quite a flock you have. I imaging there is almost always someone clucking or gobbling or quacking or guineaing (or what ever guinea fowl say quite loudly.) I'm sure all the birds keep you and Betty busy.

3. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    Yes they keep us very busy. The guineas sound like chainsaws but the pheasants are noisy. The do a really loud whistle and then a screeching noise. Makes cockerels sound quiet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by