Poultry lice treatment question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by posey, Jan 27, 2011.

1. posey

posey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Hi,
    Last weekend we purchased a beautiful group of hens and a roo, five in all. As we were putting them in their new coop we noticed that one of the hens has a messy butt, stained and matted vent feathers and diarrhea.
    We have them isolated (of course) and have been treating them all the same with raw garlic in a mash plus yogurt and probiotics and ACV in their drinking water to help with gut health.

Today is the first day it hasn't rained since I brought them home and they have been receiving the above treatment for four days. It's fairly warm out, so I sat outside and held each one and gave them a good going over. I discovered that all but one hen and the roo have the messy vent feathers also, not as bad as the one mentioned above but the start of the same thing.
    I also discovered lice on 4 out of the 5. The infestation isn't too bad, as far as I can tell it is localized around their vents, nothing under the wings or on their necks or faces. Could this have caused the messy butt feathers and diarrhea or is that caused by something else?

We really haven't had much problem with lice in our established flock. We lightly sprinkle DE into the coop bedding and nest boxes and stir it up occasionally. Since our flock is only about 18 birds we can easily look them over on a regular basis maybe that is why. At any rate, we have experienced it when I have purchased birds or taken them from others who needed to re-home birds due to moving etc.

In the past we have used permethryn mixed with water and dip/soak them (not dunk them) in it then let them air dry, always with great results. However, it's winter as ya'll know and I don't have a good way to get them truly dry this time of year. The blow dryer isn't going to be an option. I'm talking about 5 giant cochins, lots of feathers and fluff and big birds.

It just occurred to me that I could use eprinex (ivermectin drop on) correct? I seem to think of it as a dewormer but I thought that I remembered reading posts last year where folks have used it for external parasites also. Am I remembering correctly?
    The info I saved from a post about using it said to use 0.25 cc for a 5+ pound chicken is this correct or do ya'll recommend a different amount?

Last question, how long is the shelf life for eprinex?
    Thanks all,
    Posey

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yes, I use Eprinex for both internal and external parasites...works awesome! I use .25 cc / bantam bird and 0.5cc / large fowl bird. There should be an expiration date on the container. Also, you can use Sevin-5 garden dust (in a red canister) in bedding areas, as well as directly on the birds. [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Epernix would be the way to go it's 4 drops to the neck[skin] on small breed and 6 for large.. This will take care of anything internal too. You could also trim the feathers around their vents just enough to keep the poop from piling up.. You should treat their coop also.

4. posey

posey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Thanks for all your help.
    I knew to clean the coop and change out the bedding but it's good you mentioned it in case someone else reads the posts.
    And we know they do.
    This site is such a blessing.

Have a GREAT weekend all,
    Pos

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If they are not sucking lice, the pour on will not kill them IMO. (There are lice that just eat the feathers etc and don't really drink the blood unless it is oozing I have read.)

You would be wise to go ahead and give them the pour on to worm them (and it will kill mites). BUT I would also treat them with a dust for lice.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
    info on lice

Don't forget to dust them again in 2 weeks (see article).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by