Poultry Netting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jaydweight, Apr 28, 2011.

1. jaydweight

jaydweight Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If the bottom part of the run fence, or the whole run fence, is just chickenwire and the top is net, it should keep chickens in fine; it won't keep predators out AT ALL if they want to get in.

If that's the effect you're going for, it's quite fine. If you wanted to keep out passing dogs or etc, then you might want to rethink.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. jaydweight

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Yeah. The only predators we have to worry about are our own dogs, but they are kenneled up.

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    2X what Pat says.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:No daytime predators? Be sure you have your chickens locked inside a secure coop at night every night, because if raccoons find your coop at night (and they sometimes come out in daytime, too), your chickens will be goners with only chicken wire and netting protecting them.

6. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Make that x3 what Pat said. [​IMG]
    I wish I lived where there wasn't any chicken predators.
    You will want to keep mice, rodents and wild birds away from your chickens also. They will spread disease to your flock. And the chicken wire won't do it.

7. jaydweight

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    The netting should keep birds out, but I've never seen any kind of hawk or any other 'larger' birds in our areas.

I guess we'll give it a try to see if it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by