Poultry nipples.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Leah567, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    We got poultry nipples today at TSC. We are going to attach them to 5 gallon buckets. Does anyone else use these?

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    I like horizontal nipples better, but started off with vertical ones from TSC. I found they leaked (alot when I first installed them, much less after tinkering and improvements, but never completely stopped). I switched to horizontal ones - first in a DIY PVC pipe waterer, but I swapped to a 5 gallon bucket for a long time. Just to remove the bucket from taking up run space, I broke down and bought a Cup-A-Water Poultry Drinker for around $20 and installed the nipples where the cups are suppose to go.

I hated paying that much for a bucket, but I admittedly really like the waterer. It hangs on the outside of my run so I can fill it without going inside. Clear so I can see water levels. I'm a fan. Actually building a second coop this month and plan on installing one on it as well.

Anyway - I know that went away from 'does anyone use nipples,' but just expanding on recommendations. ;)

3. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Thank you so much for the info! It helps out a lot. Maybe I will return them for the horizontal ones.

4. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Unfortunately, I've never found them in brick and mortar retail stores. Amazon carries them most of the time.

5. hilltopchicks77

hilltopchicks77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2016
    I have the vertical ones. We use them in the summer and a large Rubbermaid tub in the winter

6. ngennetta

ngennetta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    Colorado
    Owen- You won't find them in brick and mortar stores as there is only a small number of distributers of the original, European horizontal nipple. There is a Chinese copy that was recently released that leaks and falls apart. The replica is being sold on Amazon under the original product listing as well, just a word of caution. We are one of the distributers of the original European product. Please let me know if you have any questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by