Poultry Protector Spray for parasites question.

BrattishTaz

Roo Magnet
9 Years
Jan 8, 2011
Tampa Area, Florida
I noticed a few little bugs (lice?) on one of my roos so I went to the feed store to get Sevin dust. The guy there told me to use Manna Pro Poultry Protector Spray instead. He said it is safer than the harsh chemicals. The bottle says to spray directly on the bird as well as the coop. It is supposed to get rid of mites, lice, fleas, and ticks.

Has anyone here used this product? Did it work?

Edited for spelling
roll.png

Last edited:
Hi,

The Poultry Protector is a growth inhibitor, I believe; so it can be helpful longterm, but you won't see results right away. The good thing is it's non-toxic so you can spray as much as you want in the coop without it hurting the chickens.

Taz, I use it as a preventive from time to time. Also, I spray my roosts down with it and the spray the bottom of the nestboxes when I change out the hay. I like it. Haven't had a mite problem yet.
smile.png

ETA: Spray your roos backside (under the tailfeathers) and under each wing. Repeat after a couple of days.

Last edited:
I use poultry protecter also, I had a pretty bad infestation late last summer of mites on my chickens and used the sevin inside the coops and ivermectin pour-on on the birds to get rid of it fast, but use PP every other week switching to oxine on the off week to clean out coops and protect from getting infested again.. Oxine doesn't kill parasites thats just the way I take care of my coops.

Thanks for the info. I'm not even sure what I saw on my little rooster. They were tan bugs shaped kind of like a grain of rice on his hackle feathers. I couldn't find eggs or anything actually on his skin. He seems perfectly healthy. He had a "physical disagreement
tongue.png
" with a visiting roo a few hours before I found the bugs. He didn't have them a few days before that. I would be mad at my neighbors for letting their birds give mine bugs but all of their new birds look surprisingly like my Nugget.
hide.gif

Quote:
On his hackle feathers you say? Hmmmm, interesting.

Have you done a nighttime mite check? Best way to do it - go into the coop at night, after all the birds are roosting, armed with a flashlight. Pick a bird, any bird. Turn them bottoms up (apologize to them for your rudeness). Shine the flashlight on their vent area. Mites will look like brown/black/red or white grains of pepper, moving.

I checked that link when I first saw the bugs. None of those describe what I saw. Mites live in the coop during the day, correct? The affected rooster (Nugget) does not sleep in a coop, he sleeps in an orange tree. I only had (until two days ago) two roosters when the bugs were found. I don't see anything on my BO. Nugget buddies around with the neighbor's chickens. I have new chicks in the brooder right now and want to make sure there are no creepy critters by the time they are ready for the coop.

Edited to add: He has been visiting the neighbors of almost a year now. The only new birds they have were hatched there and fathered by Nugget and the roos they already had.

Last edited:
I noticed a few little bugs (lice?) on one of my roos so I went to the feed store to get Sevin dust. The guy there told me to use Manna Pro Poultry Protector Spray instead. He said it is safer than the harsh chemicals. The bottle says to spray directly on the bird as well as the coop. It is supposed to get rid of mites, lice, fleas, and ticks.

Has anyone here used this product? Did it work?

Edited for spelling
roll.png
I was looking for Poultry Protector on the Internet and found your posting. I know it was from a year ago but... Did you ever find out what kind of bugs were on your roo? From the sound of it your roo / birds had the same type of bug that my flock had. I tried a lot of different things but to know real avail. Dawg53 suggested that I use the seven dust and it wiped out the bug infestation like nobodies business.
I was just curious because the thread ended and there was no answer to what happened.
idunno.gif

Thank you for your interest.

The parasites Taz described are poultry lice, probably the specie that lives on feather detritus and is commonly known as the poultry shaft louse. Poultry Protector spray by MannaPro or Care Free Enzymes is supposed to curb this infestation, as well as mites. I haven't used it yet, because I only ID'd my problem today. Good luck, all.

Back
Top Bottom