poultry shell

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducksinarow, Aug 27, 2014.

1. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I bought some poultry shell. It looks like little rocks. Is this the right stuff for laying ducks? I plan on offering it free choice. I was just surprised that it was rocks and not ground up fine.

2. Joshw

Joshw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I have never heard it called poultry shell, but I'm assuming it is Oyster Shells. It is normally white, and pretty coarse. Generally about the size of a black peppercorns. I'm not sure about ducks, but chickens need the coarseness to help them break down food. They will even eat small rocks if nothing else is available.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Your thinking of grit Joshw grit helps them to break down their feed etc. Oyster shell is what layers eat to help them have strong shells, it's calcium. That's probably what duckinarow is talking about. [​IMG]

4. Joshw

Joshw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I could have worded my response better. I didn't mean to imply oyster shell was for breaking down food. They seemed concerned about the coarseness of the shell, and I was trying to explain that it wasn't a problem, because they needed small hard objects in their gizzard to help with the breakdown of food.

5. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Thank you for your responses. It is called Coastal brand poultry shell. I got it at Rural King. I just am hoping the ducks will eat it. They like eating the egg shells I give back to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by