poultry show

poultry09

Songster
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Rainier, Oregon
I am really starting to get nervous
hide.gif
Tomorrow is my very first show, I have never been in a show or even been to a show(my parents don't care for animals) and I don't like meeting new people. I don't know what to think and I will be embarrassed if my birds don't do good

Any suggestions as to what I should do to make the show go good ( or a good place I can hide lol). Please let me know how your experiences with poultry shows has gone and what I should expect

Last edited:
Hi, P9,

I can't advise you on the show, never been in one, though I have been to a couple rabbit shows. Also, I don't know your age. I'm making an assumption you are relatively young, so I'm going to talk to you like the Aunt that I am. I apologize if you're older, but the advice is still good :D

You're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to that will only make you more stressed and nervous. Your birds may do well, they may not. It's your first show. Relax. View it as a learning experience. If your birds don't do well, or are just middle of the road, find out why, and what to improve. If you do get a ribbon, GREAT! But still see if you can find out what needs improving.

The judge may (very likely) list things that are wrong with the bird from a showing perspective. Don't take it personally. Go in with thick skin. It's not the judge's job to make you feel good. It IS their job to judge the quality of your animal, thus helping to improve the breed. If you have the opportunity to speak with them later, remember to be polite and non-argumentative. You are not trying to get them to change their mind. You are trying to learn. Remember that the most successful people in history also had the most failures. The difference between them and the rest of us is they did not view failure as the end of the road, they instead viewed it as a necessary part of the learning process.

When you register, let the person taking your info know you have no experience setting up at a show. Ask if there's someone who could stop by your spot and make sure you've done everything you need to do. There's a good chance there is someone like that to help out, but if not, use the people nearby where you set up.

Instead of thinking about all those strangers you have to meet, focus instead on meeting just two or three. When you swim, it doesn't matter how deep the water is, you only use the top couple of feet. Attending an event like this is very similar. It doesn't matter how many people are there. You only need to meet and talk to a handful. Make a point of introducing yourself to the people on either side of you, let them know this is your first show, and that you're nervous. The worst they will do is say "Hi nice to meet you, hope you enjoy it" and then go back to what they were doing. The best they will do is talk you through some of the things you're nervous about.

If there are other duck breeders, make a point of saying Hi. If they seem friendly and aren't busy, say something like "I'm Poultry09 on Backyard Chicken Forum. Do you ever visit that site?" It's a great ice-breaker, and there's a good chance they hang out here, too.

Are you going with a friend? Are they more outgoing than you? If so, use that. Say to them ahead of time, "these are the types of people I'd like to meet, could you help me break the ice?" Even if they are just as reserved or shy as you, the two of you together can boost your courage.

Best wishes, and take pics to share!

Tahai

I am going with the lady I work for she has gone to these shows but never been in them but thanks you info helped me a lot thank you

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax and enjoy yourself. Look at all of the beautiful birds and hopefully yours may do well. It might be a good idea to edit your post and remove your age.

It will be a learning experience. Enjoy it. Remember, it is about poultry and you like poultry.

You speak with us here at BYC just fine. Those people at the show are going to be the same people. If not exactly the same people you speak with here, then at least the same type of people.

I've never met anyone at a poultry show who wasn't nice. If you do run into a bad sport, remember, they aren't the norm. just move away from them and talk to someone else.

Don't expect to win at your first show. Nobody is born knowing how to show birds. Everyone you see at the show started just where you are starting and they learned what they were doing from that point.

Come back after the show and tell us all about it.

Ok so I am still confused on what happen today but here it is. I got to my friends house this morning( she is the one who signed me up for the show) and she told me that they will not be letting me show today because she did not give them all my info( age,last name etc.) cause she did not know it. So I just went to the show and looked around all day. The show was really small ( around 100-150 birds) and 13 full sized ducks and 30 call ducks and they had nothing but Japanese bantams for sale in the auction but for my first show it was not bad. O well I got some numbers from people with birds I am intrested in. I will be going to a big show on April 21-22 in Stevenson, WA, I am really excited for that show

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Back
Top Bottom