Poultry Showing for youth

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MorganC, Oct 24, 2014.

1. MorganC

MorganC Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    Idaho
    Hey all,
    So I have been a poultry breeder for years, a 4-H leader for more, and a judge for less. What I have noticed in the last few years is that there is too much variation in the way poultry are judged; not just the breeds and how they compare to the standard, but the kids who are using poultry in showmanship. I have even noticed this discrepancy in my own state where each county has a different method of showing birds. I read in another post that a member was docked points for not using a hog stick to guide the turkey. When I was showing turkeys, I was required to place my bird on a rug on the table, not walk it into the ring let alone guide it in with a cane.
    Does anyone else notice this discrepancy and what it can lead to?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I've heard of states having different requirements for showmanship but back here they are pretty similar. I think the 4-H standards change throughout the ages but I thought that was determined by the state not the county I don't think walking will remain because half the judges don't see the point. But that's strange that they're walking turkeys like pigs because we still do the table

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by