Poultry Swap TOMORROW!!! Am I mistakenly selling any hens?! (Picture heavy)

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Here are a ton of head-shots. 8-weeks-old, all of whom I have marked for sale tomorrow at our last poultry swap of the year. Am I mistakenly selling any hens?!? Most are straight-run McMurray (except the Orpington)

I see a couple in there that I would think could be pullets. A black and a black and white.

To me all of the barred rocks and the lavender bird all look like pullets. The way they are held makes it impossible to check for saddle feathers.

To me all of the barred rocks and the lavender bird all look like pullets.  The way they are held makes it impossible to check for saddle feathers.

Was just thinking the same. There doesn't seem to be anything happening with these as far as the longer pointy male neck feathers.

All of them look like roosters to me. They simply have too much comb to be pullets at this age.

Last edited:
Is there any possibility that those birds are older than 8 weeks? To me they look to be too large for 8 week olds.

Most of them are cockerels, but it's difficult to tell with a few of them because I can't see the tail feathers. Is there any way you can re-post showing the tails?

Agh! Dissent!! Uh oh....
I thought due to the light coloration on the Barred Rocks, they were males...the Lavender Orp has a HUGE comb & wattle compared to the two DEFINITE girls at this age. I'm keeping one Lav Roo (not pictured) who has no dark markings on his comb. I'm also keeping a Delaware Roo, Welsummer Roo, and a BCM Roo. They're going to have to duke it out for a permanent coop spot.
Which would you not bring?
They are 100% 8-weeks-old on Monday. I raised them as day-olds.

Back
Top Bottom