Poultry tax number??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sticks22, Aug 16, 2008.

  1. sticks22

    sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    I was told at the coo-op that when I bought my feed for my chickens that if I owned 5 acres of land that I could apply for a tax number to keep from having to pay taxes on my feed. Is this true? If so, how do I go about doing that? Do you really have to have 5 acres or can you own 1 acre and a very large chicken supply? Can you use this tax number for building supplies at Lowes or any other builing supply store, or use it to pay for groceries or for your gasoline?
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. speckledhen

    speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

    I would think that would legally make you a farm, if you can be tax-exempt by just having 5 acres. Could be off base here.
  3. Reinbeau

    Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

    In Massachusetts there's no tax on animal feed (I'm not talking dog and cat food here, farm animal feed). I can't believe here in Taxachusetts they don't tax it, but they don't! [​IMG]
  4. Colored Egg Farmer

    Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

    I have a tax exempt number from my feed i buy and one at Tractor supply.
  5. keljonma

    keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Here you have to have 5 acres, it cannot be less. Check with your county extension agent.
  6. buc

    buc Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 20, 2007
    Kansas law if very liberal in this area, what makes you a ranch/farm is very basic, are you attempting to raise/grow food for others and for a profit.

    This would and does include for me the sale of eggs and live/dressed chickens so feed and other items that have a sole application to ranching use are tax exempt.

    A short list:

    Steel posts
    fence plyers
    feeders for chickens

    other items not on this list should be kept track of and depending on your operation can be deducted off both your federal and state tax returns.
  7. sticks22

    sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    If I go to the county extension office and apply what would I have to do? Pay a fee or take a test or what, tell me a little more please?
  8. keljonma

    keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    The county extension office will be able to tell you what the requirements are for your locale.

    Here in Ohio, you must have 5 acres, nothing less is acceptable, to get tax exempt status.
  9. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

    Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

    In most states many items are Sales Tax Exempt if they are used in the DIRECT Production of agricultural products for profit. In Indiana you simply complete a Tax Exemption form with the retailer certifying that the purchases will be used for legitimate production purposes.

  10. al6517

    al6517 Real Men can Cook

    May 13, 2008
    It is easy as pie, just stroll in ( you have to stroll ) to your local AG Extension office tell them you want to appy for a tax exempt card, try not to use more than 2 syllable words and don't wear a clean shirt. you must have five acres and produce something, Hay is a catch all anyone can produce hay, no limit on amount, the card does not cost anything and is only good for 5 yrs then you must renew it. you may only use the tax number on things that are to be used on the farm only, farm diesel, building materials, feed, farm eq, seed, fertilizer, all kinds of things. every time you make a purchase and use the number you may have to sign a small form for the store records, ( an IRS thing ). and thats it.


BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by