1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poultry Water heater

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by samsr, Nov 11, 2012.

1. samsr

samsr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Fountain, Colorado
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    The galvanized metal heater base is 125 watts, so 60 watts may not work. I am also not sure how well heat transfers from silicone to the base of a metal waterer.

3. Twister-n-Dos

Twister-n-Dos Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Alaska
    I have setup something like this. It is the first winter trying it, so it is not fully field tested.
    Right now I have a 50 watt pad and it has been keeping the water liquid down to about +5F.
    That +5F was in the coop, -20F outside. It has warmed up now, about +10F outside, but
    it is supposed to drop again this week.
    [​IMG]

The heater is on top of the cinder blocks and under the pavers.

It is plugged into the thermo cube, but the air temp has not gotten warm
    enough for it to cycle. Probably won't until spring time.

I have purchased a 100 watt heater also. My thought is to use them in combination
    or individually at different air temps.

The silicone heaters transfer heat well. That is what they are designed for.
    The one you referenced is for vehicle batteries. The 50 watt is for automatic
    transmission pans, and the 100 watt gets used on oil pans. Very common item here.

4. samsr

samsr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Fountain, Colorado
    I thought the heat transfer would be good enough to keep the water in liquid form since these are used for automotive use. These are a fair bit cheaper then the heated bases also, by about 10 to 15 dollars for the combination.

5. Twister-n-Dos

Twister-n-Dos Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Alaska
    One thing I have wondered about with my setup is how well it would work if it is cycling.
    The cinder blocks and paving stones have a lot of thermal mass, which in a way is good,
    but if the system cycled a lot then it might take awhile for the bricks to heat up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by