1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poults coming in a couple of days

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jade0206, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jade0206

jade0206 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    berks county, Pa
    I will be picking them up at a breeder about 30mins from my house, any tips would be great as i been reading on the forums that poult are harder to take care of then chicks. So any advice or tips would be great beacuse I never did this before.

Thanks

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Main thing would be to keep them warm on the way home (they don't do too well if chilled). Get Gamebird Starter. Place some tin foil under feeder and sprinkle some food on foil next to feeder which will help them to get going with the food. Dip beaks in the waterer/place marbles in waterer to get them interested in location of fluids, this might take a day or so. However, expect they will already know the drill (breeder's brooder) when they arrive.

Might want to thumb through this reference: http://www.albc-usa.org/downloads.html#turkey

You'll know the poults are warm enough in the brooder when they run out of `peeping' and fall out for the night (looks something like pic below): Some will sleep on bedding/some will hop up on roosts (if available). If they only peep incessantly when you all are not in their line of vision everything is fine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. jade0206

jade0206 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    berks county, Pa
    Thanks for the link it was great help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by