poult's eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jade0206, Mar 25, 2013.

1. jade0206

jade0206 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    berks county, Pa
    I got 4 poults 4 days ago, did not notice till I got it home but one eye is shut, and swollen no other problems but that, it is eating and drinking. I been put nespoirn on if this does not clear it up. is it possible it will grow up like this?

Thanks

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

If you hold a warm, wet wash cloth over it for a few minutes and then try to pry it open, what happens?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    no, try Collidial silver for her eye, IF it's an eye infection it will cure it right up! make sure she doesn't have a respiratory infection going on causing her eye to do that. if not respiratory, then the silver should cure it right up. look up colloidal silver for chicken eye infections. this stuff is great! I have it on hand just incase I need it.you can get it at health food store or online. I get the 500ppm,parts per million. of the silver. it's really great stuff. look it up! best wishes!

4. countrygoddess

I guess it's the nurse in me that doesn't want to jump to conclusions, such as an infection. I mean, it likely is that, but you should also check for damage, thus the warm cloth and prying it open to have a look before applying anything.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  5. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

I would rule out damage first. Did the eye get poked or scratched? Next, Unless yo are going to take the chick to the vet... you have to diagnose based on response to treatment. I would try flushing the eye with warm saline water, or the colloidal silver. My last suggestion would be to try Vetericyn Eye Wash. I use it on my dogs, its anti-microbial and very soothing. Good luck and I suggest naming the chick, Winky.

6. countrygoddess

Thank you Kernel Cluck--you and I are on the same page! And Winky is a great suggestion for a name! LOL

7. jade0206

Feb 20, 2013
    berks county, Pa
    Thanks for all the help Winky is a great name. I also been putting Colloidal silver in but the one i got is 10PPM. Should I just put this in? or nespoirn and the silver? Also I ordered Terramycin should get it in a couple of days. I did look at the eye does not look like any damage to the eye, it is fine other wise eating and drinking.

8. jade0206

Feb 20, 2013
    berks county, Pa
    The only thing else I forgot to say is his beck is a little crooked.

9. countrygoddess

Crooked beaks are a genetic problem. You'll just have to keep an eye on him throughout his life to make sure he can eat okay.

10. jade0206

Feb 20, 2013
    berks county, Pa
    How much colloidal silver one drop or two drops and how many times a day. Been 4 days been putting in twice a day but the eye is still the same. I should be Terramycin eye ointment soon I order a couple of days ago. when I get it should I start to use that instead?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by