Poults just arrived! *pics added*

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by PotterWatch, May 19, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Our first poults just arrived this morning. We have never raised turkeys before and have heard from many people that turkeys spend most of their time looking for ways to die. I hope that we get at least a few of them to processing day. We ordered 2 broad-breasted bronze, two black spanish, and two blue slate. We split an order with a farmer friend and he got 10 of each of the heritage breeds. One black spanish was doa but the others look ok for now. I am keeping mine with some broilers that hatched the same day until processing day for the broilers when the turkeys will go to their own pen. Any tips for me?

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    Firstly post some nice pics. [​IMG]

3. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    those darn turkeys are so much fun your going to have trouble killing them lol.they are alot of fun keep them of the ground for atleast 2 months an keep them warm an dry till they are all feathered out about 2-3 months an you should be good you may have trouble getting hertiage breeds to wieght by turkeyday most people start them very early if they are going to eat them on turkey day good look an you will love them.

4. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    Lucky! Mine are supposed to ship on monday. I am running out of patience after 2 months....

5. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We have processed turkeys before that a friend grew on his farm, but we haven't ever had them on our property before. We hope that the two BBB will be ready by Thanksgiving, but we don't mind growing the others out longer if need be to get them to a decent size. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow but today is being taken up with chicken processing.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    DH and i grew out 6 BBB over 10 years ago. I didn't know they "like to die" and just gave them good care like any animal. We brooded them in the house for some time, I only really remember having to lean over the brooder to brush my teeth! LOL We didn't loose one. ANd they were ready for Thanksgiving. You'l need to double check, but if I remember, maybe 4 months to grow out. Mine arrive in June and I'm expecting them on the table for Thanksgiving. GL

7. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So far, they are all alive and seem to be thriving. Here are a couple pictures I took this afternoon in the brooder.

We have 50 cornish cross and the six turkeys.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far, I think the turkeys are adorable. They like being in with the chicks and are eating and drinking well as far as we can see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by