pound of feed to finish a dual purpose rooster

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by stew1, Oct 2, 2015.

1. stew1

stew1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    Just wondering if any one had a good idea on the average pounds of feed it takes to feed out a dp roo? I know there are a lot of variables just wanted a idea of how many pounds. Don't need to get into too much detail just wanted some one with some experienced opinions. Thanks stew

2. stew1

stew1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    Ok it seams like 5 to 1 is about the average for dp birds. So if I want a 8 pound bird its going to take about 40 pounds of feed. The last batch of feed I ground cost me 100 bucks for a ton. So I should be able to get 50 roos to 8 pounds at 2 bucks a bird. I hatch my own eggs so my cost per chick is little to nothing. The only reason this is possible is because I don't pay for corn, oats, or the distillers I add to it. I have access to a hammer mill for free also. The corn I collected from farmers lil piles left every where and the oats are probably 15 years old that my dad doesn't want anymore. So if I dint miss anything I can raise a dp to butcher weight for what it would cost me to just buy Cornish xs. And not to mention my death loss is none, now I have 0 experience with the Cornish but sounds like a 10 percent is normal? This is just my angle on the deal and wanted some opinions, thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by