Pouring rain! Pretty sure theres a broody out there in it!

CAjerseychick

Songster
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
Northern California!
Anyone have any experience with this? The last time my eggs dropped off (about a month ago, and now I have 4 chicks) and one of my hens went missing, I found a clutch of eggs in the bushes and was able to move them (hen followed)-- Anyways one of my hens had been showing up off and on.... and its been pouring rain since last night, shes been gone, am pretty sure she is out there in the brambles on a clutch of eggs--(we have big dogs roaming loose and no predator -- crossing fingers for luck-- losses so far)...

Does anyone have any experience with this? Will my Broody survive out there in the rain -its supposed to rain for another day or so-- temps are low 50s at night and mid 60's today and tommorrow... Up to 80 maybe by the end of the week....

I had a hen go missing and assumed a hawk or some other predator had gotten her. Then a few weeks later she showed up with 16 new friends. I did finally find her nest up inside a deep freezer on my back porch. Never thought to look there and apparently no predator's did ether. They will find the best place they can for their eggs,so have them really nice boxes ready.

Its 50/50 I'm am sure as long as the predators don't find her the rain will not be a problem. My 50/50 comes from the predator side not the weather side. These chickens are pretty resourceful, she might even be in a weather resistant spot. Look at the glass half full and expect to have some new chicks in 28 days.

OK thanx for the pep talk guys, I am really inclined to let nature takes its course this time around (plus we have relatives flying in and will be gone alot for the next 3 weeks, so dont really have many other options.... )....

Back
Top Bottom