pourous eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loupan, Dec 15, 2011.

1. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    I candled my polish eggs yesterday before i put them in the bator and a couple of them seem real pourous is this a problem they are shipped eggs so im keeping them in the egg carton and i have something under one side so i just tilt them no handling needed .do pourous eggs hatch ok ??? any advise would be great [​IMG]

2. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I've set and hatched them, some dont set them. It's up to you, just be sure to wash your hands before handling them as bacteria may have an easier time penetrating them. I'd also candle them a couple extra times just to make sure they're developing and not turning into grenades.
    I've also got mine in an egg carton, makes rolling a whole lot easier. [​IMG]

3. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Thanks it sure does make it easier [​IMG] so would you recomend i candle day 7 and then few more times after will i know if they have gone wrong lol im new at this [​IMG]

4. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    ok, Stupid Question What is Pourous? I see that alot and Have No clue what that means. Sorry for the Dumb question

5. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Well from what i have figured its when it looks all spotty when candled you can see a pic here looks completly different to a normal egg

6. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

candling them 3 times should be enough, maybe days 7, 13 and 18.
    Here's an example of a porous egg, in extreme cases the spots will look more like blotches.
    [​IMG]

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

An image of a porous egg.

[​IMG]

8. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    the 2nd pic is what couple of mine look like [​IMG] hope they are ok

9. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Oh I see, I have a Few like that, Just figured thats the Shell, and how it came out of my hen....Are those bad eggs?

10. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Yep, porous eggs can hatch. They hatch fine from my personal experience. Only trouble are porous eggs
    sometimes have trouble holding humidity, and bacteria can enter porous eggs alot easier than they can
    non-porous eggs.

Picture of a porous egg that I set last year: (It hatched)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by