Poutine with gravy from my old hens

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by kimslack, Feb 20, 2013.

1. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    I'm from Vermont originally and when I was a kid I worked in a small restaurant that was known for good french fries. The french Canadians would often come in and would order french fries with gravy. As a kid I always thought this was a terrible way to treat a perfectly good french fry but now I've re-discovered "Poutine", aka french fries and gravy.

I make my 'fries' by first roasting a few baker potatoes in the oven the day before and just store them in saran wrap in the fridge. Next day I cut them into chunks and sautee them in olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary and kind of dry them out on a slow stovetop. I keep the skins on them too.

When I make roast chicken from my retired hens, I always get really great rich gravy which I think is the best part of the chicken. I hate retiring my hens but at least the food I get like poutine makes the retirement worth it. The gravy is dark and has far more taste than the store bought chickens. When I roast the chickens I usually cut up the chicken and use it with rice or spaghetti and make stews, chicken caccitore, or soups but I always save the brown stuff at the bottom of the roaster and make gravy from it.

When the potatoes are browned and crispy, I just put them in a bowl, and pour a big dollop of chicken gravy over the top. That's it. The fancy restaurants who now serve it, usually use curds in it too which is very young cheddar cheese or asiago fresco but I think that's a bit too many calories. I just do sauteed potatoes and gravy. It tastes great and a real treat from my old hens.

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    We have only eaten one old hen..I made her into dumplings...I am a little unimaginative in the kitchen..Lol. She was tasty though.

3. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    Cooking with your own chickens can be very creative. I love the soup made with basic chicken broth. And the meat I use to make some great chicken salad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by