Powder springs Ga

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Lemontea66, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Lemontea66

Lemontea66 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    Powder Springs GA
    Ok so I just found out that we now have an ordinance against chickens. I have had chickens here since 1977. The uniform ordinance code was passed in 2003. Now all of a sudden after 38 years I can't hace chickens. Any help?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    I live in Lithia Springs just down the road from you or at least close. Where can I go and read about the ordinance that was passed in Powder Springs.

You say that the Uniform Ordinance Code was passed in 2003 is that the way it was before? If this was passed in 03 and it hasn't affected you yet, I wouldn't worry about it very much. I sure would like to know some more details about what is going on down the road from me. I'll do some Google searching in the morning and see what I can find out, I may have some friends that would like to get involved.

Since you have had chickens for so many years are you grandfathered in to where as long as you were abiding with the laws before the new stuff can't affect your situation now.

Give me all the information you've got.

Thank you!

4. LoneOak

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    All I can find is the minutes for the city council meetings and on July 16,2013 they discussed an ordinance ORD 13-012 that would allow backyard chickens under certain conditions. I am still searching for the outcome of the discussion.

5. LoneOak

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Well, I found this page which has references to poultry ordinance in article 9 and article 5,
    http://www.cityofpowdersprings.org/Search/Results?searchPhrase=Poultry ordinance&page=1&perPage=10,
    but I'll be darned if I can find that reference in either article. From here on out I'm just confused. Can someone help relieve the confusion? Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  6. TheGeekySheep

TheGeekySheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Georgia
    It looks as though the city of Powder Springs adopted Cobb County's animal control ordinance as the controlling ordinance in 2006. See here:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/12469/level2/COOR_CH4ANFO.html#COOR_CH4ANFO_S4-1ANCOPRAD

Cobb County's ordinance has this to say regarding poultry and zoning, see part 4:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10...COCOGE_CH134ZO_ARTIIADEN_DIV3BOZOAP_S134-94PO

I understand this part of the ordinance was passed very recently as a result of efforts to get it changed. You can read more here:

http://www.backyardchix.org/cobb-county/variance-details/

All that being said, I still find the new ordinance too restrictive. I wouldn't go about paying a fee to get a variance or restricting yourself if no one has brought it up. Like Lone Oak said, you should be grandfathered in if you've had birds this long. Is someone giving you a hard time about it?

7. Lemontea66

Lemontea66 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    Powder Springs GA
    Yes I received a notice from code enforcement to remove all chickens from property within 10 days or be cited.

8. LoneOak

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Who turned you in? Did they just ride by and see them? Did you attend a meeting and somehow let it get out that you had chickens.

The people at the Backyard Chicken Alliance that GeekySheep posted a link to may help you with this situation.

That is just so wrong, I see some people getting voted out next election. Make your voice HEARD LOUDLY!!! GET INVOLVED!!!!

9. TheGeekySheep

TheGeekySheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Georgia
    Wow, that is seriously Not Okay. Please get in contact with Joseph Pond at the Backyard Chicken alliance (mail AT backyardchix.org) or through this website:

http://www.backyardchix.org/about-us/sample-page/

If he can't assist you he may know someone who can. It sounds like you might need to get a lawyer involved. I would find out when the ordinance *against* chickens was passed and I'm betting it was long after 1977, and thus the ordinance should not apply to you. Have you told the city how long you've had your birds?

10. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    I think garbage like this ought to require your name to be posted if you're the tattler. Then you could go and settle with the jerk face to face. It's so easy to call an anonymous tip hotline when you know you're identity is withheld. Of all the cowardly nonsense....."Yes, my neighbor has some chickens....." Wow, folks cast real short shadows in some towns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by