powdered Corid dosage for very small flocks

lingon

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2012
Michigan
I have read that powdered Corid 20% dosage for coccidiosis is 1.5 tsp per gallon for severe outbreaks and 3/4 tsp per gallon for moderate outbreaks.

What I'm wondering is what to do when my 3 chicks drink maybe 2 cups of water a day? I could mix up a gallon and dump most of it out, but I prefer not to dump medication into the water supply.
Can I mix 3/4 tsp into a cup of water, refrigerate that, and then use 1/8th of that every day mixed into enough water to make 2 cups? When it says make fresh daily, I assume that's because the medication loses strength/effectiveness when mixed. Will refrigeration help with that?

I don't have a scale that does less than 1 gram, so I can't measure out 3/64th of a teaspoon well enough (the dosage for 1 cup of water). I could just use a 1 tsp per gallon dosage and then, with 16 cups per gallon, use 1/4 tsp in 4 cups of water - how critical is the measurement?

Does Corid have such a short half-life that it will be gone by the time the water treatment plant deals with it, and I should just mix up a gallon and throw most out?

(My 4.5 week old chicks have been outside more often the last few days, and today they were sleeping a bit more than usual, so since I tend to stress out, I thought I'd dose them just to be sure. They are on non-medicated feed.)

I have read that powdered Corid 20% dosage for coccidiosis is 1.5 tsp per gallon for severe outbreaks and 3/4 tsp per gallon for moderate outbreaks.

What I'm wondering is what to do when my 3 chicks drink maybe 2 cups of water a day? I could mix up a gallon and dump most of it out, but I prefer not to dump medication into the water supply.
Can I mix 3/4 tsp into a cup of water, refrigerate that, and then use 1/8th of that every day mixed into enough water to make 2 cups? When it says make fresh daily, I assume that's because the medication loses strength/effectiveness when mixed. Will refrigeration help with that?

I don't have a scale that does less than 1 gram, so I can't measure out 3/64th of a teaspoon well enough (the dosage for 1 cup of water). I could just use a 1 tsp per gallon dosage and then, with 16 cups per gallon, use 1/4 tsp in 4 cups of water - how critical is the measurement?

Does Corid have such a short half-life that it will be gone by the time the water treatment plant deals with it, and I should just mix up a gallon and throw most out?

(My 4.5 week old chicks have been outside more often the last few days, and today they were sleeping a bit more than usual, so since I tend to stress out, I thought I'd dose them just to be sure. They are on non-medicated feed.)
So they are not sick?

They are eating and pooping, just not running around playing like they have done the past 2 days when out in their run. They're mostly roosting on the outside roost.

I did give them Durvet probiotics the first 2 weeks, it contains:

Dextrose, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacinamide, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Silicon Dioxide, d-Activated Animal Sterol (Vitamin D3), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Riboflavin Supplement, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, DriedLactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried L. plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried L. casei Fermentation Product and Thiamine Hydrochloride.

I still have a bit of that I could give them. But if they have coccidiosis, I can't give them vitamins and Corid together.

But my main question is how do people dose their small flocks when they use nowhere near a gallon of water a day?

But my main question is how do people dose their small flocks when they use nowhere near a gallon of water a day?
Article I posted has the amount per gallon. For a quart, divide by four.

It is not too critical. Corid is not very toxic at all since it is a thiamine disrupter.

Is this better than the article?

Corid dosage chart.jpg

Say I make one quart and refrigerate half of it. Will that half be ok to use after 24 hours?
Does anyone know how fast it degrades, or its half-life?

Back
Top Bottom