Powdered Cornbread mix

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dixygirl, Oct 8, 2008.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I bought some feed today that looks about like corn bread mix. It seems like corn meal almost. Is that too finely milled for chickens?
    thanks

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    If I had that, I would mix it with some yogurt to make a treat that they could get their beaks around.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:Heya -

I feed my chickens "mash" which is what you are describing. They make a bit of mess with it and there is more waste with mash than with crumbles or pellets.

I'd like to switch, actually, but my chickens won't eat the pellets (and I have yet to find more affordable crumbles). The mash is the cheapest feed I've found, although with the waste issues, I am not sure how much I am saving.

I've been researching feedstores near me, though, so I may end up switching to crumbles before I'm done. (my old feedstore ticked me off yesterday, I'm done with them - long story, I won't bore you).

Anyway, to answer your question - yes, mash is fine. But if you want less waste, you should see if they will eat the pellets or crumbles. Mine have eaten mash from the beginning - about a year or more.

Peace -
    Meriah

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You have feed 'mash'. It should be mixed with warm water before feeding. It is not a free choice fill up the feeders type of feed. You can also mix it with yogurt for a treat.

5. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    Thanks so much. I had been using the crumbles so this will be something new for them. And I like the yogurt idea. Now if only i had a goat to give me milk to make the yogurt.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You need 2 or 3 goats to have happy healthy goats. You also need very good fences.

Get the goats. Everyone should have them. [​IMG]

7. Charlene1234

Charlene1234 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    My chicks didn't care for pellets when I switched over but once I was out of the crumbles, they didn't have any other choice. Took a day or two for them to figure it out. Now they eat it just like they did the crumbles. [​IMG] It is less waste!! Feed is expensive and I don't want them wasting any of it. Now they don't. [​IMG] I'll try the yogurt mix idea.

8. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    I wet the powder like you told me and it swelled and now it looks like crumbles!

I love this stuff! It doubles in size when wet. To avoid waste, I am going to serve it in a 2 x 3 foot wide plastic lid for those storage containers. Instead of putting it on the ground. I got 100 pounds for what 50 pounds of crumbles would cost.

What I really like was how they attacked it. They seem to like it much more than their other food. And this is all natural and unprocessed. I got it from the Mennonites who grew it on their farm, blended it and milled it themselves!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  9. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    wait..so mash is WAY less expensive than pellets?????
    The gods must be crazy! I'm goin to buy some mash!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by