Powdered Duramycin (oxytetracycline) advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheeperchick, Oct 16, 2013.

1. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    I've been treating my flock with the solution for 7 days now & I noticed the package says not to give to chickens that are laying eggs for human consumption. Most of my flock is 16 weeks old and three of them are 14 weeks..all not laying yet. Can the eggs be eaten when they do start to lay? How long does the medicine stay in a chickens system? This concerns me since I decided to start a flock for eggs and pets.

2. cheeperchick

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    Name on package is actually Tetroxy HCA 280, not duramycin

[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many medications that are used by backyard chicken enthusiasts are used off-label, and most people eat their own eggs after a reasonable withdrawal time. If you spend enough time on the search at the top of the page, you may find a length of time someone else has used. The problems with manufacturers is that they can't be legally responsible for people using these drugs, then selling the eggs or meat to the public. People with antibiotic allergies could get very ill eating those eggs. You can also contribute to antibiotic resistance by using these drugs, but it is a personal choice.

4. cheeperchick

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    That makes sense. I was concerned that it would carcenogenic or somthing like that. I would also assume the resistance would develop if one would eat eggs for each meal every day...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by