power failure on my incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pjenkin3, Apr 9, 2017.

1. pjenkin3

pjenkin3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    I brought my incubators up to temperature and filled them with eggs. I went out for the night and when I returned the temp was down to 93-94 degrees. I know that is too low but i'm not sure they actually ever reached temp as the were in there for less than a day. I guess I can leave them in there for a while and candle them but I do't know how long I should wait before candling them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    When you fill a ready(temp right) incubator with cooler eggs---it can take 24 hrs +/- to get back up to temp----never readjust during that time or you can have a headache. As long as your eggs did not get close to 105 and above you are good. Now if you did readjust the temp when you got home---you will have to monitor it closely for the next couple days.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  3. pjenkin3

Feb 25, 2013
    Please tell me how long it will be before I can candle them to see if they are growing. Thanks for your help!

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Day 5 or 6 you should be able to see the veins inside the eggs----if the eggs are not to dark.

5. pjenkin3

Feb 25, 2013
    Today should be time enough to check them. Thanks for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by