Power failure while hatching

Bell Street

Chirping
Jan 10, 2021
We had a power outage in the middle of the night that lasted 2 hours before I realized. I was able to turn it back on and the temperature was 80 degrees and slowly warmed up over the next couple of hours.
Will this effect the income of the hatching? This is my first attempt at hatching, so I'm not sure, not that I can change the events anyway, but it might give me peace of mind. I started the eggs on January 6th.

We had a power outage in the middle of the night that lasted 2 hours before I realized. I was able to turn it back on and the temperature was 80 degrees and slowly warmed up over the next couple of hours.
Will this effect the income of the hatching? This is my first attempt at hatching, so I'm not sure, not that I can change the events anyway, but it might give me peace of mind. I started the eggs on January 6th.
Hang in there. People have had successful hatches with power outages before.

It shouldn't affect it due to when you set them! Mother hens will get off the eggs to eat/drink/dust bathe/etc, and they still have a pretty successful hatch rate.. as long as it doesn't drop very low (under 70 is where ive had trouble with hatches due to power outages) for an extended period of time (id say more than 4 hours), generally speaking the chicks should be fine! You may lose a few of the ones who would have been weak hatchers and may have died anyway, but the strong ones will be just fine. Speaking just from my personal experience, I'm not sure if everyone has had similar experiences, but some crazy miracles have been documented on this forum before!
Especially if they're duck eggs, they'll be completely fine, generally duck eggs do better when they have a short cool down period, according to a friend of mine who hatches ducks. Apparently splashing them with water occasionally helps as well.
Best of luck! Keep us updated :)

It shouldn't affect it due to when you set them! Mother hens will get off the eggs to eat/drink/dust bathe/etc, and they still have a pretty successful hatch rate.. as long as it doesn't drop very low (under 70 is where ive had trouble with hatches due to power outages) for an extended period of time (id say more than 4 hours), generally speaking the chicks should be fine! You may lose a few of the ones who would have been weak hatchers and may have died anyway, but the strong ones will be just fine. Speaking just from my personal experience, I'm not sure if everyone has had similar experiences, but some crazy miracles have been documented on this forum before!
Especially if they're duck eggs, they'll be completely fine, generally duck eggs do better when they have a short cool down period, according to a friend of mine who hatches ducks. Apparently splashing them with water occasionally helps as well.
Best of luck! Keep us updated :)
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Are you candling regularly?
I was under the belief you leave them alone until the 18th day, remove them from the auto turner, then candle, replace, increase humidity to between 55F to 65F, and wait for them to start to pip, leave them alone, even if they don't look like they won't make it. Allow them to dry off, then remove them to the brooder. I hope I have this right? Should I be candling more often?

Back
Top Bottom