Power of love

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ZooMummzy, Nov 21, 2010.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Never under estimate the power of love even between chickens [​IMG]

My black Silkie rooster has been sick for awhile (no idea why - not looking for answers or advice here, just sharing the story). While I was away in Ohio at the Ohio National last weekend, he decided to give up. He stopped eating, drinking, cleaning himself, moving around - was basically just waiting to die it seemed. I never give up hope and I never stop trying to save my pets but I was getting a bit worried and have been preparing myself. In the meantime, I have been making him comfortable and keeping him warm with heat lamps and food and water within reach. Today, with bad weather predicted for us over the next couple days, I decided to move his girlfriend, a white Silkie, into the garage for the winter (she is a little princess). She has been very lonely without him, moping around and getting picked on a lot by the others. She immediately starts talking to him from her cage in the other room (we have two separated rooms in our garage - I use one for a hospital ward). Over the next few hours I notice him perk up, start cleaning himself and drinking a lot of water and picking at his food again. I gave him some high protein prescription wet cat food tonight and eggs which he has been diligently working on. I don't know if he will make it, but I do know that love is a very powerful thing!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Awww! That's adorable! I'll be rooting for him! He's gonna pull through!

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I, too, believe in the Power of Love! It's amazing how animals and we, humans respond to even a gentle touch!!! I hope your boy pulls thru and that he and his girlfriend make sweet 'music' together soon...

5. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Thank you everyone. Unfortunately it is a sad day for me and his girlfriend; he passed away sometime overnight [​IMG] I still believe in the power of love and I believe he died knowing he was loved.

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by