1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Power of mother hen :)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RedJungleFowl, Nov 9, 2014.

1. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia

Video says it all enjoy :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well done, Mama!

3. Handyhens

Handyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Kirkland, WA
    :Lau
    That's awesome!

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have seen similar where the attacker was a 4-week old game chick (not even juvenile yet) on a juvenile male American Kestrel.

What species of Kestrel is that? Looks like a male and likely a juvenile or in very poor health.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Very likely a victim of monofilament fishing line strung over the run by chicken owners to deter attacks but ending up doing what the fishing line is designed to do, break the wings of the attacker. The next step is BSS, aka, Bludgeon, Shovel, & Silence.

I agree with the above poster because Kestrels are Falcons and as such they usually hunt prey on the wing.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Wings appear intact as symmetrical when deployed. Rolling over back typical antipredator response. Kestrel looks like species from Europe / North Africa.

7. RedJungleFowl

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    I found it on youtube only not my video :)

8. RedJungleFowl

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    Really that would be a great sight to see.

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

At time we had a tree where American Kestrels reared chicks every year. Fledglings were prone to fall to ground during first day and were very easy to find. They were valued like songbirds to us in part because they caused no harm. Fallen chicks were picked up and placed on tree trunk so they could expedite trip above of ground predators into tree canopy. Wildlife rehabilitators called in by neighbors were run off to protect fledglings from meddling. Sometimes fledglings would be encountered by chickens where raptor killed by adult chicken (presumably based on aggression directed at grounded raptors in general). The one instance with game chick the raptor was in driveway when encountered by some brooder reared games. I had to break up interaction to protect Kestrel.

10. RedJungleFowl

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by