1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Power out 3 hrs, dropped to 85F at day 2 /day 10, what are my chances?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by exop, May 5, 2009.

1. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Hi everyone. Help - I need reassurance! Or to know the grim truth, if there's no reassurance to be had.

My incubator, a new hovabator in a 70 degree room, was unplugged for 3 hours today. When I discovered it and plugged it back in, the air temperature in the incubator read 85 degrees F.

This incubator contains 1 set of eggs that have been incubating for 10 days, and one set that have been incubating for 2 days.

What can you all tell me about my chances for survivors, in each group?

This is very upsetting, as the 2-day set contains some esoteric hatching eggs that I had been waiting for for a month, expensive la, and the 10-day set contains some eggs from a special breeding I had set up with a pair of my own chickens, who were isolated together for weeks to produce these eggs [​IMG]

As I write, ~ 30 minutes after fixing the plug, I see it's risen to 95 degrees F.

Please, please please let things be ok. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I'd think they'd be okay. The older the egg the more affected but cooling down is much safer than overheating. Probably not going to see much of a change in that short a period. High heats above 103 for prolonged periods are vastly more dangerous. Good luck.

3. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    Dude that sucks..... sorry, I hope they all survive.[​IMG]

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    probly they will be fine
    Good luck

5. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    we had a power outage for 2 maybe 3hrs
    not sure so i wrapped
    bator in a blanket. and the temp drop to 85

I have BCmarens that i have been wating for like it seems forever LOL
    and hoping they hatch on or after mothers day. and white siklies
    and buff orp.
    lets hope we both have a good hatch..

6. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

DON'T THROW THEM OUT! They will make it probably. I threw out 60 eggs after a power outage and later found out from the knowledgeable BYcer's that as long as they don't overheat most of the time they will be o.k.

7. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    should be fine. I moved my broody about a week into incubating, I always let her out about 8 'o'clock but I had to wait to show her were her nest was after she was done eating drinking and reliving herself. She started going back to her nest on her own... so I didn't think I need to watch her anymore. well the next morning I came out around noon and saw her brooding in her old spot....

6 out of the 7 hatched fine. and the temp had to of dropped to around 40 degrees.

8. exop

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I opened the incubator in a panic when I realized what had happened, and found the eggs were cool-ish to the touch [​IMG]

Now the incubator is up to temperature... with luck the eggs will be getting there soon.

I just tried to find out what stage the 10 day old eggs would be at, and came up with these interesting yet depressing links about embryo development and pictures of the stages:

Here's day 10
    [​IMG]

Hard to believe that something looking so much like a chick can cope with having its body temp dip down like that.

Thanks, Fancie217 for giving me some reason to stay positive! Day 7 looks pretty important too:
    [​IMG]

Apparently the heart starts to beat at hour 12 of incubation (!)
    How about that.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  9. exop

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    One of the 10-dayers pipped yesterday, hatched this morning; another pipped today. I have my fingers crossed.

Gail Damerow writes, in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, that in case of a power outage,

...Open the incubator and let the eggs cool until the power goes back on. ...A power failure of up to 12 hours may not significantly affect the hatch (except to delay it somewhat), especially if the outage occurred during early incubation, when cooled embryos naturally tend to go dormant.

Seems totally counterintuitive. [​IMG]

She warns that if you do try to keep eggs warm, make sure they get enough oxygen... Anyway, I hope this means things will go well with the 2-dayers.

In celebration of my new arrival, here's a new Silkie jumpy: [​IMG]

Best - exop​

10. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Hey thats great, if the 10 day olds could do it the 2 day olds should have plenty of hope. Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by