Power out 6 hours on day 1

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jdleston, Nov 7, 2014.

1. jdleston

jdleston Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    I had started incubating at 6am today. At 4 the power went out when I was away. It was out for 6 hours. Should I toss the eggs? Temp was down to 72 when I was home :(

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Since it was day one and only a few hours into incubation, there should be little to no issues with the temp drop besides adding more time to the 21ish days, keep incubating until you can candle and easily confirm development or not in give or take 5 days...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    No don't toss them away. Lower temps are not as drastic as too higher temps. I would leave them for a few days then candle to see if you have developing embryos. It may just have slowed development down slighly but my thoughts would be not by a lot.

Mother hen gets off the nest everyday to eat drink etc so it's just like that.
    Good luck with them :frow

1 person likes this.
  4. jdleston

jdleston Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    tha
    No don't toss them away. Lower temps are not as drastic as too higher temps. I would leave them for a few days then candle to see if you have developing embryos. It may just have slowed development down slighly but my thoughts would be not by a lot.

Mother hen gets off the nest everyday to eat drink etc so it's just like that.
    Good luck with them :frow[/quote

Thank you to both replies. It's my first time! Fingers crossed :)!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by